FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Driver Installation Issue

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Stalker
New Driver Installation Issue
on Mar 10, 2009 at 5:36:19 pm

Hi,

In our facility our host apps (Premiere in this case) are loaded on a Windows partition other than C:. In this environment, in CS3 and now it would appear CS4, the installer for the multibridge driver (6.7, 7.0) seems unable to properly place files in the proper directories, and leaves them in a default directory on C:. To work around this with CS3 and the old driver, BMD provided a list of files and where they should be manually placed.

With the new driver, that list of files seems to have changed. In trying to install the new driver, we have tried to manually place files as per the old workaround list without success. Has a new workaround to the installers shortcoming been compiled? If not, can it be expected soon? Most importantly, can (or has) the installer be modified to either find the host app on a different partition, or be instructed to do so?

I don't think it is so uncommon at a facility for host apps to live somewhere other than C: locally. Is anyone else working in this type of environment, and do you experience the same issue?

...And thanks to Caspar at tech support for listening and understanding my problem, although he is only able to pass the problem along at this point.

Matt

----------------------------------------------------
hp xw9300 | windows xp | 2 x Opteron 285 dual cores | 4 gig RAM | nvidia quadro fx 4500 | avid RTR320x 10/4000 | decklink multibridge extreme | sony LMD-232W
----------------------------------------------------

Matt Stalker
Center City Film & Video
mstalker@ccfv.com

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
Re: New Driver Installation Issue
on Mar 10, 2009 at 9:51:51 pm

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately the (C:)drive path is in some cases a problem and in others a necessity. This is an old thing actually inherited from the first days of Windows and many applications tend to look for a hard coded path in the form of i.e "C:Program FilesCommon files" or other similar ones.
Some applications or installations use relative paths or look at the system environment variables, but 90% of applications don't and developers don't take the time to test other drive letter system installations.

I cannot however see, why would you use such a configuration especially in a production environment. My spontaneous advice to you would be to use the standard windows installation type on the (C:) drive letter. The bad thing is that you cannot even take an image to do that, you must start with a clean format.
I can understand that you may have your reasons for having such a config, I don't know, maybe a dual boot configuration. But still, whatever the benefits are, they are outweighed by the potential risks/issues/incompatibilities and there are ways to have C: drive installations in dual boot configurations if that's the case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]