FORUMS: list search recent posts

firewire output

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Morris
firewire output
on Mar 5, 2009 at 8:59:29 pm

Hello,
I'd recently bought a Decklink Studio Card and am using it with PPro CS3. What I haven't figured out (and couldn't find searching the forum)is how to playout to tape via firewire. Capturing works fine but when exporting to tape via firewire there's no signal on the firewire port (it is using a non- decklink project) Since I cannot believe that this is no possible with decklink, I guess that I missed something - so any idea / solution to this is very much appreciated!

cheers
Martin

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
Re: firewire output
on Mar 7, 2009 at 8:19:33 am

I haven't used CS3 in a little bit to change ports, but I think you need to set up your capture preferences to firewire. If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) there's an option for firewire control in the capture settings dialogue, as an alternative to blackmagic.

I would start there. I don't know if that's the correct method, but where I would look.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Martin Morris
on Mar 7, 2009 at 9:37:16 am

yes, you need to change the device control to dv in order to capture via the firewire port - and that works fine. Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way round. I still can control the DV deck but no av signal goes out.
cheers
Martin

Return to posts index

MIHAIL ANGELOV
on Mar 9, 2009 at 8:54:24 am

you need to make a new project, for example DV 4x3 project, and import your Deklink project inside the new DV project.
Of course this is my way to manage this problem. Maybe there is a better solution.

mihail angelov

Return to posts index

Martin Morris
on Mar 9, 2009 at 9:05:33 am

Mihail, thanks for your suggestion. I'm using this workaround as well but still cannot imagine that the direct way is not possible (and even more that you don't find any information about that on the BMD site)
cheers
Martin

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Mar 9, 2009 at 9:35:34 am

So your project is a DV project, captured from a DV camera over firewire and cannot send out to a DV firewire deck or camera? Is the decklink card being used at all?

Have you set the monitoring to firewire as well? This should be somewhere in the preferences or sequence settings. It's how you would preview over firewire. This makes sure there is a DV signal going out over your firewire connection as well as deck control.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Martin Morris
on Mar 9, 2009 at 10:07:37 am

Yes, it's a DV project and the Decklink card is mainly used for previewing over a crt monitor. But I can't find where to change the monitoring output in PrPro (CS3) as you suggested - since it's a blackmagic project, the playback options are greyed out. Any ideas?
thanks
Martin

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Mar 9, 2009 at 10:29:05 am

If monitoring options are greyed, you are out of luck.

Hmm, I did read somewhere that you can text edit project presets, but I've never tried it, perhaps this would unlock the monitoring options. Be careful and make backups, or be ready to reinstall BMD.

Why does the workaround of importing to a non BMD project not work for you, is it that you just want it to work at the same time in the same project?

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Martin Morris
on Mar 9, 2009 at 10:46:57 am

of course the workaround is ok - but it's still a workaround. I'd preferred to just playout a project to my dv deck as I used to do and wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. I still wonder why it's not mentioned anywhere that the firewire output is disabled when using a blackmagic project (the BMD support has not responded to my question as well). Anyway - thanks for your help!
cheers
Martin

Return to posts index

Mihail Angelov
on Mar 9, 2009 at 11:13:41 pm

I used to work on Final Cut Pro 2 years ago (with Decklink Extreme) so inside the FCP there is an option that gives you a direct way to easily change the output(decklink or firewire or something else if you have another hardware). So I think that the problem is inside the PPro cs3, hope that in CS4 there will be an option to change the output within the same project.

mihail angelov

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Mar 9, 2009 at 11:28:37 pm

edit: sorry clicked the wrong reply link.

Return to posts index

Martin Morris
on Mar 10, 2009 at 8:48:43 am

No, I still have my audio coming over the audio card, since I use an analogue mixer and the audio out's signals are too high - resulting in distortions (which is another issue -how do you monitor audio over the decklink card?) But in the meantime the dealer that I bought the card from got an answer from BMD saying that in fact the firewire output is disabled when working with a blackmagic project. Would have been a useful bit of information to have before you buy a product....

Anyway guys - thanks for your help!
Martin

Return to posts index

Nguyen Van Son
on Mar 15, 2009 at 2:11:34 pm

We have same audio problems as yours, Martin, but with decklink SP, using a anolog mixer too, captured level are too low, and output are too high (couldnt find a way to set input and output level +4db or +10db or somethings else in decklink preference like my old Pinnacle Targa 3000 board). So I have to lower the master level in Audio mixer in PPro in order to monitor and record to tape using decklink.
vawnsown

Return to posts index

George Sey
on Mar 14, 2009 at 5:06:10 am

Both cards are output cards and unlike Matrox and Canopus they can not come out at the same time. So make a movie and start a new DV project and import the movie and play the Dv out. You can also save a copy of the BMD project, start a new project and import it there. Of course you may do some re-rendering

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]