FORUMS: list search recent posts

decklink - consumer HD monitor configuration?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jurgen Bakker
decklink - consumer HD monitor configuration?
on Mar 5, 2009 at 2:59:40 pm

I do my editing with HD footage (MXF), but for previewing purposes I want to use an SD monitor with component videoboard. I suppose I can use either the Decklink Studio or the Decklink HD Extreme for downscaling tot SD.

In the near future I may want to use a HD monitor for previewing, but can this be done using a standard consumer HD monitor with the ability to shut off the processing? (does this provide an accurate reference for your image?)

In this case of course, I might want consider buying the HD Extreme, but can anyone give me any advice? Can, for instance, the Studio provide me with a good enough image on a HD monitor as well?

Greetings,
Jurgen

The Netherlands

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
Re: decklink - consumer HD monitor configuration?
on Mar 6, 2009 at 3:42:29 pm

You can connect your Decklink card to any monitor that has the correct inputs to match the outputs on your Decklink, and of course the correct video modes.

Consumer HD monitors will play back SD as well, it will just still be SD :)

The big difference for consumer monitors is color control and features like LUTs and such.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Jurgen Bakker
on Mar 6, 2009 at 4:21:45 pm

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the processing going on in consumer-end HD monitors. A collegae of mine pointed out there should be monitors around with the ability to shut off the processing.... Dunno if this provides a good reference for colour though...

Do you know if there is any advantage in using HD monitors (consumer-end or professional) for monitoring HD footage instead of using a SD monitor for donwscaled HD footage by the way? This question keeps nagging in back of my mind when having to choose between the HD Extreme or the Studio...

Greetings,
Jurgen

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Tracy Peterson
on Mar 6, 2009 at 6:22:53 pm

Oh there very much is an advantage to previewing HD footage on an HD monitor. Even if it's just a consumer LCD panel.

Foremost is the fact that you can see potential problems like focus, grain, dust, small issues with background and if you are doing effects, edge issues. The higher definition makes the image clearer for the preview. When you are downconverting to SD you necessarily pull a huge amount of pixel data out of the image, thus reducing the complexity of the image you end up seeing.

If you are only working in SD, there really isn't much of an advantage to use an HD monitor over a SD one, but yes, down converting HD to SD loses a lot and reduces the effectiveness of the preview.

As far as color is concerned, it would be nice to be able to afford a great pro HD Monitor, but a cheap commercial one will definitely render color as a TV does, so that at the least, you are better off than a computer monitor.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Jurgen Bakker
on Mar 6, 2009 at 7:48:29 pm

Thanks a bunch Tracy, this is the answer I was looking for. Adding up the sum: I'll buy the HD extreme.

N.B. I very much liked the digital screens you edited in the space parody.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]