FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Exteme 2 To Capture From Panasonic Switcher

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Shelson
HD Exteme 2 To Capture From Panasonic Switcher
on Mar 1, 2009 at 10:09:49 pm

Hi all,
I'm planning on picking up an HD Extreme 2 tomorrow which will be used to capture directly from a Panasonic switcher over HDSDI. The plan is to switch live to the card which will be in a current MacPro running FCP 6 with 6GB of Ram. How stable would this be and do you for see any issues if I were capturing continuously for a longer period of time? Should I stop and then restart capture about once an hour? Should I record to prores 422?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HD Exteme 2 To Capture From Panasonic Switcher
on Mar 1, 2009 at 11:28:56 pm

I do this all the time. I use the AV-HS400A switcher, and output to a FCP capture station via HD-SDI input on the card. BUT you need a big mama drive array to make this happen. Your internal boot drive is not going to cut it. Grant Petty has not invented the miracle to avoid buying the right (expensive) drive array to accomplish this job- not yet. And yes, ProRes422HQ will look wonderful.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jon Shelson
Re: HD Exteme 2 To Capture From Panasonic Switcher
on Mar 2, 2009 at 1:00:34 am

Thanks Bob!
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. We're going to test it out at an event this week. I picked up an internal 1.5TB drive to use for now since it doesn't look like a RAID is in the budget for this month.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]