FORUMS: list search recent posts

10,000 rpm drives

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phil harbath
10,000 rpm drives
on Feb 27, 2009 at 7:07:56 pm

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on the 10,000 rpm sata drives (mostly for sd), has anyone used them for 1 stream of video.
Does it become overkill when dealing with a raid of say 4 as compared to the normal 7200 variety as far as SD is concerned.
Lastly, are people finding the G-Raid3 a reliable product.

thanks
Phil

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: 10,000 rpm drives
on Feb 27, 2009 at 7:53:32 pm

As Bob have sayed in here g raid is no no. I think 10 k is not really good option as you sayed too expensive and to small. Speed you gain is not so much. I might help with servers more than in video work. More like expensive hobby i'd say as 1 tb and 1,5 tb drives are really well priced these days. I might be dead wrong also.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 28, 2009 at 8:13:38 pm

I didn't say the G-Raid was a no no. I said that the G-Speed eS was a no no. G Tech makes some fine products (but that's not one of them). And Margus is correct - you can get modern generic Hitachi and Seagate SATA drives today for dirt cheap prices that are enormous, that will do a wonderful job for everything but uncompressed HD - want to do that - buy a big drive array.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Ziegelheim
on Mar 1, 2009 at 7:12:52 pm

Can you capture HDMI to a single drive?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 1, 2009 at 11:26:16 pm

you want a simple answer - yes or no. That's the problem. It's not a simple answer.

HDMI is not a compression codec. It's an input/output format. You can input with HDMI (or even HD-SDI) and if you choose "DV/NTSC" as your compression codec the answer is yes. If you choose uncompressed 10 bit HD 1080i,the answer is no. There are countless compression codecs for HD, that include DVCProHD, ProRes422, ProRes422HQ and others. Different compression ratios have different requirements.

There is a big difference between being able to capture a single stream of HD (at any compression ratio, from any input source), to actually doing a real job, and being able to play back a 30 minute show without dropped frames. A 30 second demo of HD on a single drive does not mean you can output a 30 minute show, and not have your show stop dead in it's tracks with the "dropped frame" error message.

There ain't no cheap way out.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 2, 2009 at 6:11:58 am

You could go with 3 to 5 drives on mac pro and get reasonable speed. Still it would be relatively cheap. One drive is a bit bad even with uncompressed SD in some cases.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]