FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro DX58SO Motherboard issues

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Ciccone Jr
Intensity Pro DX58SO Motherboard issues
on Feb 26, 2009 at 11:10:47 pm

Wish I looked for this forum sooner. Hopefully someone can figure this out and end my madness with this card.
My Intensity Pro card causes my pc to crash before even reaching the desktop. Sometimes even before the Intel logo. I have a Intel DX58SO motherboard with a I7 940 processor. I have the ATI HD 4870 x2 Video Card. I have tried altering bios settings, tested all other pcie slots with no luck. I have tried other cards in the slots and they work fine. The Intensity card even worked and installed in two minutes on an older computers intel d945 mb. I am at a loss as to what to try now. I know the card and the board work. The most I think I can do is wait for a bios update that may correct this but I'll take any suggestions. I tried literally for days but I'm curious if someone suggests something I didn't try. And yes the PC works flawlessly when the card is not installed.
Thanks ahead of time.

Return to posts index

Dennis Ciccone Jr
Re: Intensity Pro DX58SO Motherboard issues
on Feb 28, 2009 at 8:44:38 pm

Also I tried running the Intensity card with no video card inserted on the board. Hard to judge since I couldn only hear plus i wasnt able to install it but it didnt seem to crash. In the large pcie video card slot I get a blue screen crash. In the smallest pcie slot that its made for I get a constatnt freeze. In the medium slot it either wont see the card in the device manager or will show up in the device manager saying it doesnt have enough resources. Maybe those are some clues.
thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Mar 2, 2009 at 4:16:10 pm

Not very many of us have Core i7 systems, so I could be way off here. Anyway, your CMOS setup should have settings that control the PCIe slots. On most recent Intel mobos, the BIOS options look like:

Primary Video Adapter
• Ext PCI Express Graphics
• Ext PCI
• Auto

Allows selecting a specific video controller as the display
device that will be active when the system boots.
Secondary Video Adapter
• Ext PCI Express Graphics
• Ext PCI
• Auto

Allows selecting a specific video controller as the secondary
display device.

Can you get into the CMOS setup with the video card in the correct (PCIe x16) slot and the Intensity in the PCIe 1x slot? There may be other PCIe options, but if a small amount of "tinkering" doesn't work, you probably should contact Intel directly.

Return to posts index

Dennis Ciccone Jr
on Mar 3, 2009 at 5:08:11 pm

Thanks for responding Jay. Do you really think the issue is more of the I7? I was seeing it as the MB's fault.
Intel had another bios update come out in the last week. Unfortunately it had no pcie changes and after testing everything yet again It still crashes.

My Bios menu has the video setting you described but its only selections are Primary Video adapter - with the selections for either pci or pcie. That's it. I find nothing in that menu or any other for selecting a secondary adapter.

I do have another enable disable setting for pcie ports. Id have to write down what the menu is called but again I think ive tried every combination of settings with them on and off with no luck.

I know other pcie cards work and I know the Intensity card works in older pcs. It seems to just be this model mb that has a problem with it. Id be curious if anyone else has this same problem though. Id get a gigabyte or other company I7 MB but I have no idea if this will still happen.

Intel's only advice was to update the bios and contact the manufacturer of the card. I've contacted Intel and Blackmagic several times to pick different people's brains but haven't really gotten anywhere. I'm guessing Id have to wait for a bios update from Intel that may suddenly let it work. Meanwhile I can't get anything done on my new system for my project. Is there any place to write in to Intel developers?

thanks
Dennis

Return to posts index

Dan Kline
on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:02:00 am

I'm betting it's a MB problem. It's amazing the discrepancies and nuances you get between manufacturer's implementations even when it's the same chipset. If you refer back to my thread about the multiple BMs in a single system, you'll see that I had issues w/ a Gigabyte that use the P45 (for Core2Quad system) but when I switched to ASUS I had no problem.....but they both use the same chipsets!

If you are still within your return window, I'd do that.

I've had a lot of success over the years with ASUS motherboards and I know a lot of people swear by them. And, it seems that a lot of people are having good success with the ASUS P6T line of i7 motherboards. I'll be picking up a P6T6 WS Revolution due to the sheer # of PCI-e slots but you can probably get away with the P6T. I know for a fact that the ASUS P6T is successfully being used in a few commercial environments.

P6 MBs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BEST...

Regards,
Dan

Return to posts index

Jay Bloomfield
on Mar 6, 2009 at 2:43:26 am

Again, I can't say I know much about the X58 mobos, but I have read that the Intel version is the "simplest", and also the most stable. I have ASUS mobos in all my PCs and they are great, but, they have a lot of extra "bells and whistles", mostly for gamers who like to overclock their machines.

But getting back to your question. I answered a similar post in a different thread. Does the BIOS have a setting for "Memory Hole" or "Memory Remapping"? Each hardware device uses memory addresses, which Windows assigns in the 3GB to 4GB range. On my Vista x64 PC, the Intensity Pro uses two small pieces of memory, roughly at the 3.7GB address location.

Normally, the use of the 3-4GB address space for devices doesn't pose a problem, as long as you have < 3GB of RAM. The BIOS remapping options map the 3-4GB memory space to above 4GB. I doubt that this is your problem but you never know.

Return to posts index

Dennis Ciccone Jr
on Mar 6, 2009 at 3:06:06 am

I tried some stuff out with the updated Intensity drivers that just came out. I thought that maybe the secondary pci x16 slot or x4 slot may work with the update. They would at least boot then crash or ignore that the card was there totally. I ended up getting blue screen memory dump crashes anyway so the drivers didn't change anything.
I'll double check but I don't recall seeing a memory hole or memory remapping setting. Would that be in the area with the warning adjusting this can blow up your board menu? That does make sense that this issue has something to do with memory. My blue screen crashes I get are about memory dumps an all. Also someone suggested taking some memory out and trying it as well but that didn't work. Ill check for the settings and let you know. And again thanks for all the tips and help!

Return to posts index

Dennis Ciccone Jr
on Mar 10, 2009 at 2:19:35 am

I see voltage adjustments but don't see anything called remapping or memory hole. Like you said, it may not have an adjustment on the Intel boards. I'm pretty much waiting on a bios update since I keep reading the not so pretty Gigabyte board track records. Thanks for tryin though.

Return to posts index

andy prada
on Mar 8, 2010 at 11:40:52 am

I've run into problems similar to yours, of which I've spoken in another related post. I have a Core i7 950 X58 deluxe asrock with 12Gb ram. Intensity Pro was recognized fleetingly but would not work correctly therafter and after re-installing failed to show up at all in new hardware. BM tell me there are compatibility issues with the X58 chipset. The new bios / chipset (2.30) issued by intel recently certainly does nothing for my system although I can't speak for others.

The general advice seems to be go for a P55 Chipset Mobo. Personally I feel I'm now going 1 step forward and two steps back with a lot of bucks going out the door at the same time. But maybe this is what I should expect in trying to do a self-build.

Return to posts index

alberto araya
on Sep 7, 2010 at 10:22:55 pm

That is correct, I have two PCs with a dx58s0 intel motherboard and they do not see the black magic intensity pro Pcie card which is very outrageous since I am paying top dollar for good motherboards that do not see anything.

On the other hand, I can provide you with feedback of intel i7 compatible motherboards that they DO work just fine with black magic intensity pros. I have the machines running without a problem.

The following list of i7 compatible boards do WORK:

- gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
- intel dp55wb
- intel dh55tc

They all have "55" in their names and they work fine with BM intensity pros in windows XP SP3 or Windows 7.

Best regards,
Alberto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]