FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring HDV footage with SD CRT Monitor through decklink extreme??

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt shires
Monitoring HDV footage with SD CRT Monitor through decklink extreme??
on Feb 18, 2009 at 5:36:00 pm

I'm going to be editing some HDV footage captured via Prores next week but the place only has an SD Monitor (Sony PVM-1954Q) linked to a BM Decklink extreme, what's the correct setup for such a situation? And what kind of picture quality should I be expecting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much Thanks, Matt

Return to posts index

ben sherriff
Re: Monitoring HDV footage with SD CRT Monitor through decklink extreme??
on Feb 19, 2009 at 11:21:41 am

Hi Matt,

BM Decklink extreme preferences are in the mac system preferences - there you can set the BM to downconvert to either letterbox 4:3 OR SD 16:9 (which I think that monitor has) on its video outputs. So connect the BM breakout cable up (Y out) to your monitor and there you go monitor HDV on SD monitor. Quality is excellent. I've just set mine up with a sony-dsr 45p deck for downconversion and mastering of all hd material and its sweet!

Return to posts index

matt shires
on Feb 19, 2009 at 10:12:12 pm

Cheers! great advice,

just one more question, what viewing options should I have it set to? Is it Pal 10bit 720X576 (as that's what the monitor is) or 1080X1920 25htz 10bit (as that's what I believe proress 422 HQ) The footage is HDV 1080i50.

Much Thanks, Matt

Return to posts index

ben sherriff
on Feb 19, 2009 at 10:19:31 pm

If you are not using the sdi outputs on the card then it shouldn't make a difference either setting will work. I run FCP with vid out setting of 1080X1920 and run that to a cinema display with the HDlInk box.

In decklink preferences select output processing HD to SD Letterbox 16:9 and away you go - works great through a deck if you have one with RS 422.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]