FORUMS: list search recent posts

RCA to BNC

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Serge Marcotte
RCA to BNC
on Feb 16, 2009 at 7:56:17 pm

Hello - My new (technically used) Ikegami monitor just arrived (courtesy ebay) with BNC component ins on the back. Not yet arrived is a newly ordered Intensity Pro card with a female RCA breakout cable. Is there any possibility of quality loss when using RCA to BNC adaptors, or is it better to hunt for a BNC breakout cable? I'm a bit new to this, frankly. Thanks - Serge

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
Re: RCA to BNC
on Feb 17, 2009 at 3:13:20 am

You can get BNC to RCA barrels of any configuration, if you want to connect component BNC to component RCA, though I'm not sure you can connect HDSDI the same way, RCA might not work in that application.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Serge Marcotte
on Feb 17, 2009 at 4:19:29 am

[Tracy Peterson] "I'm not sure you can connect HDSDI the same way"

How exactly does this apply to my situation? And by "barrel" you mean adapter, right?

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 17, 2009 at 6:02:55 am

http://www.svideo.com/bncpigad.html

is a bnc male to rca female "barrel" is what a friend called them in slang. feel free to call them whatever you want.

SDI and HDSDI are types of connections that I can't confirm will work with BNC to RCA adaptation. Never tried it. Only used this for bnc component to rca component adaptation.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Sean Donnelly
on Feb 17, 2009 at 11:31:58 am

I've never heard of anyone using SDI with RCA connectors, but I assume Serge is referring to component or composite video, since no one (especially BM) would build a board with RCA connectors for SDI. I'd say go ahead and use whatever adapters you need to, just make sure they're of decent quality and all of the same type (i.e. don't use a good adaptor for blue and an old corroded one for red). Radioshack is actually a decent source for these if you don't have a pro video shop nearby.

-Sean

Return to posts index

Serge Marcotte
on Feb 17, 2009 at 3:40:27 pm

[Sean Donnelly] "I've never heard of anyone using SDI with RCA connectors"

Let me clarify a bit. Blackmagic's Intensity Pro capture card comes with a breakout cable that goes to RCA connectors only. Shocking but true. My component broadcast monitor (not SDI) only has BNC inputs (BNC doesn't necessarily imply SDI - in this case it's component).

I just need to connect my component card to my component monitor. One is RCA, the other is BNC. That's all. I was debating between RCA-BNC adapters, vs. a RCA-BNC cable. Which is safer, in terms of quality? Or am I just looking for something to worry about. Serge.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 17, 2009 at 5:44:32 pm

Well, there's always a greater chance that one of four components is going to have a factory defect than one bnc cable (the numbers work against you), but the adapters are cheap and good to have a bunch handy anyway. It's a matter of personal preference probably.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Sean Donnelly
on Feb 17, 2009 at 6:14:01 pm

RCA-BNC cables are readily available, but if you can't find them the adapters work great.

-Sean

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 18, 2009 at 12:39:19 am

Sean is correct.
Blackmagic built this product, assuming that most users who purchased this model, would be using low cost consumer or prosumer products, like Plasma displays and DVD-R's that all have RCA video connections. If you had a consumer Plasma display, instead of your professional broadcast Ikegami monitor, you would be using short coax RCA to RCA cables.

If you have 3 RCA VIDEO cables (not audio cables), go to Radio Shack and get 3 RCA female to BNC male adaptors (about $3.00 each). These are the same quality connectors as Markertek sells (I believe called the BF adaptor). They are all made by Chinese companies like AIM Electronics. For your application, this will work fine (provided you are not running these cables 100' away, for example).

I wish you luck with your used Ikegami Broadcast monitor, as the CRT tube's in the Iki's are notorious for going soft. I also question whether this Iki monitor will display an HD-SDI signal via analog component. Any cheapo Wal Mart/Best Buy plasma or LCD will display HD via the analog component connectors, but "old" broadcast montiors like the one you just bought probably DO NOT. To my knowlege, the only "low cost" CRT monitor that would display HD-SDI via analog component is the Sony PVM-20L5/1, and Sony PVM-14L5/1.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Serge Marcotte
on Feb 18, 2009 at 4:38:14 am

Thanks for all the input. I wound up calling out of town for a custom cable. Not one Radio Shack in this one had any adaptors or cables in stock. Frustrating.

To respond to Mr. Zelin, the Ikegami doesn't take SDI, nor does the Intensity Pro feed it.

[Bob Zelin] "I also question whether this Iki monitor will display an HD-SDI signal via analog component."

You're saying: SDI can go through RCA in certain cases? I'm a bit new to all this, but I was made to believe that SDI positively requires a BNC out card (Like the Decklink Studio card, I believe) and a BNC monitor with the proud letters "SDI" printed on the front. Short of that, no SDI.

Return to posts index

Sean Donnelly
on Feb 18, 2009 at 1:51:06 pm

The connector choice is somewhat irrelevant. It happens to be that anything that sends SDI uses a BNC connection (unless it's a RED), while component devices use either, depending on the price level. I think what Bob was referring to is that the iki may not be able to display an HD signal output by the BM card, because it was never intended to.

-Sean

Return to posts index

Serge Marcotte
on Feb 18, 2009 at 2:59:19 pm

It's a standard definition monitor. The TM14-17R. I'll be using it with after effects to colour-match layers on some compositing work I've been doing. I don't plan on using it for final colour corrections. But now Mr. Zelin's got me worried about "soft CRT tubes".

Soft tubes? Anyone care to explain that for me?

Return to posts index

Sean Donnelly
on Feb 18, 2009 at 3:14:44 pm

Not every crt monitor provides the ability to adjust the functions that determine the sharpness of the image, including convergence, etc. I think he was implying that some iki tubes can drift out, and not be able to be trimmed back.

-Sean

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 22, 2009 at 5:26:15 pm

I don't know why you purchased this monitor. Any cheapo LCD today will display both SD and HD signals via analog component video (analog component HD). Blackmagic products (and everyone else) will downconvert from Hi Def to Standard Def, so you can use any TV you like, including your old Iki tube monitor. CRT monitors go soft after a few years (the tube wears out). This happens to the most insanely expensive Sony BVM monitors as well. Ikegami was notoriuous for the image going soft on their CRT montiors. One of the countless reasons that CRT monitors are no longer used by most people.

SDI means serial digital interface. Products from Blackmagic and others have the ability to convert from SDI to analog composite or component video. Blackmagic (and others) even make stand alone SDI to analog converters - but your card probably has this built in. You DO NOT NEED an SDI input on your TV monitor. standard def video will not look better if your TV had the word "SDI input" stamped on it - analog component video will look the same for standard def video. A connector is a connector - you can use RCA or BNC -they both have the ability to output any type of signal. RCA is considered a "consumer" connector for video, while BNC is considered "professional" -but they are interchangable. Things will still work with an RCA connector. It's just a piece of metal.

There is no reason to buy "old broadcast equipment" today. Modern products outperform the old dog equipment, that you think you are getting a "deal" on. Buying used Leitch A/D or D/A converters that used to cost thousands of dollars does not mean that you don't get the same quality from modern products that only cost a few hundred bucks.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:49:20 pm

Hey Bob,

You always have great comments and knowledge. Can you answer a quick question along the lines of what you are discussing in this post?

I have a new HD monitor. Pushing HD out of my FCP timeline through a matrox mxo2 box through HD-SDI to the monitor. Is the cable I'd use for HD-SDI just a standard BNC RG-59 video cable that I'd have on any other of my AVID-Betacam equipment? Or do I need to get a higher end cable?

Thanks,

-Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]