FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE: Intensity Uncompressed

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tilford Bartman
RE: Intensity Uncompressed
on Feb 14, 2009 at 10:09:09 pm

Hi,

Just wonder if someone could confirm or comment on the following.

1) My understanding is that there is no increase in qualify to taking video from HDV tape uncompresed through the Intensity's HDMI to your hard drive, VS taking it from the HDV tape via Fire Wire in a compressed format like Cinform,Canopus HQ, etc. You only get increased quality if you take the video live through the camera's imaging device before compression?

2) If your going to edit 8 bit uncompressed HD in Premiere, with maximum two tracks of video, titles, transitions, music in the background etc., what should be the transfer rate of your drive system to be able to do this with some head room?

Thanks,

Tilford Bartman

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
Re: RE: Intensity Uncompressed
on Feb 15, 2009 at 10:57:31 pm

1.) yes.

2.) the transfer rate should exceed the bitrate of the video, I would imagine. I don't have an exact answer here.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
Re: RE: Intensity Uncompressed
on Feb 16, 2009 at 10:54:42 pm

Blackmagic has some nformation on their website regarding Raids and bitrates for HD video. It's worth a look there.

What I would say is it shouldn't be all bundled together.

Keep your Audio Files and Graphic elements etc on a seperate drive.

If you have lots of assets on the same drive, in different locations, the heads spend half the time (I exagerate) seeking out the assets, and you loose your sustained data rate speed.

as for the first question. Once the vision goes to tape on a Z1, it is compressed to MPEG2 25 (50i). There is definately no point in capturing this uncompressed, unless you are looking to avoid that seemingly unnavoidable lag that comes with long format Native HDV edits. The upside is it is no harder on your drive speed than DV! As long as you have plenty of RAM and CPU to handle the decoding, I'd go with native.

I have just completed a DOCO shot on Z1's. Captured as native, there were about 16 hours or so of footage, that took up almost 200 gig on my raid.

I cut the job in a BM project, and imported the mpeg footage. It worked brilliantly, and I still had a BM HD preview. Although on fast movement the Z1's are prone to SOFTEN somewhat, the footage was generally excellent, and the client was very happy with the finished piece for broadcast.

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]