FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink HD Extreme Card

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Buter
Decklink HD Extreme Card
on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:11:56 pm

I'm relatively new at all of this so please bare with me. I usually shoot in HDV and edit via Final Cut Pro. Are there any benefits to connecting a Sony GV-HD700 portable deck/player to a Deckline HD Extreme card? I was hoping to transfer footage uncompressed but my camera only supports firewire connection. Therefore I was hoping to do so via the GV-HD700. Before I invest in the deck and card, I wanted to make sure that I would see some meaningful benefits.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Sean Donnelly
Re: Decklink HD Extreme Card
on Feb 17, 2009 at 2:43:42 pm

Short answer, no. What you're getting through firewire is everything that's on the tape. Playing out to a decklink card is effectively going to capture the same information in a larger container. The only reason to do that is if your NLE doesn't support HDV.

-Sean

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: Decklink HD Extreme Card
on Feb 20, 2009 at 6:12:54 pm

i agree with Sean, but want to expand on it. if you're doing effects and color correction, or if you have a slower computer, you wont want to use HDV as your editing codec. by capturing directly through the card to the high res codec you want (such as ProRes or Uncompressed), you will save the step of transcoding after capture. but you lose one main benefit of HDV - start/stop detect. at my old facility, we would capture HDV via Firewire using start/stop detect. then those clips would be logged (and subclipped if needed). then we would recapture the clips at a higher res codec such as ProRes or Uncompressed. this footage was much easier for our After Effects guys to deal with. it also made the older G5 computers snappier because these codecs take less processor power to playback and edit than HDV. and no HDV Conform at the end!

but if you've been using HDV for editing just fine and without issue, then keep using the firewire method.

e

Eric Hansen, The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]