FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS4 Drivers

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Godin
CS4 Drivers
on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:56:57 am

I have this exciting board plugged into my workstation, anxiously awaiting the code to make it run with Premiere CS4, 64bit. Anyone have an update???? I really looked forward to using Decklink.

You never get hurt in the air!

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
Re: CS4 Drivers
on Feb 10, 2009 at 11:04:54 am

Hello,

I emailed Blackmagic yesterday with the same question. They said they are waiitng on a new update from Adobe then all Manufacturers can release there drivers. So just waiiting on Adobe now, I wonder how long though? it could be 3mins, 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months.

Leo

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Feb 11, 2009 at 1:12:24 am

Yep

This has been the case for a while now, and we are all a little more than frustrated.

OK, for the guys who still have CS3, but for those of you who have entered the market at CS4, it's a little frustrating.

What I can tell you is the current drivers do still work with After Effects, and Photoshop CS4.

So at a pinch, you can use Media Express to capture vision, that you can still use in premiere CS4, just don't try to use the Blackmagic Presets...they will not work, and crash you out more often than not.

We will wait anxiously for Adobe to deliver this well overdue update, that does exist...and is being Beta tested currently.

Then BM can release to us some code to bring the boards to life.

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Feb 11, 2009 at 1:17:05 am

Hello Brett,

It's annoying how long is it tkaing Adobe to release up-dates. I wonder why people like us are not being allowed to beta test for Adobe as they are locking into the huge companies and in-house testing.

Return to posts index

Randy Johnson
on Feb 11, 2009 at 3:57:34 am

I just wonder how Black Magic does a "Road show" with CS4 and the Intensity pro when they dont even have working drivers.

Randy Johnson
Rando1968@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 15, 2009 at 10:09:49 pm

I'm talking to some friends at Adobe today, I'll bug them about the update release possible timing. If they can tell me, I'll share. There is a pre-release program, you can apply for, which will grant you access to the pre-release buggy versions of the software for beta testing.

It won't impress you with it's stability, but you would be able to see what they are fixing, etc. Also, there's an NDA :) Besides, Blackmagic won't release their drivers to you even if you are on the pre-release, I tried :)

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 16, 2009 at 4:20:16 am

Sad face. No answers.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Randy Johnson
on Feb 16, 2009 at 9:57:55 pm

Thanks for trying, Kina makes me wonder if one is even coming.

Randy Johnson
Rando1968@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Feb 16, 2009 at 10:42:07 pm

CS4 was released late September 08 if I remember correctly.

Here we are, nearly at the end of Feb, almost 5 months, and there is no joy! I know the hardware developers have their hands tied to some extent, thanks to the massive overhaul under the hood of premiere, but...

...my worry is just when it all gets sorted...CS5 will be on the doorstep, as companies like Adobe, are landing new releases yearly, to justify subscription programs and upgrade profits.

I know, I'm cynical, but I've been working with this stuff long enough to remember when new releases were milestones...and updates were bug fixes and small feature enhancements. And the new releases were half as often.

We can only hope everybody has learnt something from this debacle, and the end user won't be landed in the same situation again, especially regarding the poor information management, with Adobe advertising these third party hardware options even before release.

I just feel for the guys who bought a whole new system, say from HP, who sold bundles. These would have never worked as promised for 5 months.

So we wait some more, and as we do, editors are switching over to final cut pro. Exactly what Adobe are trying to avoid.

Aghh, the irony.

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Feb 17, 2009 at 5:51:04 pm

Yeah, it used to be that companies would issue a new software release only when there were very significant changes. I believe Apple is much more to that philosophy than Adobe. I mean FCP 6 has been out for some time now and it has been enhanced and supported with point updates providing a more mature update approach for professionals.

Maybe Adobe should follow that mantra, in the long run their sales could be hurt by these reckless "new releases". Right now they're already facing criticism for improper AVCHD support, AME issues, H264 problems on CS4. There is always a price for rushing products to market and Adobe could have just as well made a point update with most of the features of CS4 (i.e the explorer view,AAF,OMF) along with some bug fixes.

Let's hope for the best and some sense in Adobe.

Return to posts index

Tilford Bartman
on Feb 18, 2009 at 9:55:53 pm

The entire 64bit thing has been more of a pain than I would have thought it would be and it's not over. I think premiere is still not native 64bit, and I think Windows 7 is coming faster than people thought. I almost think people would be better off staying with CS3 and waiting for CS5 full 64bit on Windows 7. It's probably only a year and a half or something away. Matrox has RTx2 drivers for CS4 on 64 bit Vista, but if you look into it you see that they have lots of issues. It's seems to be like your almost a beta tester. So who really needs that. Canopus Edius works well on 64 bit vista, and they have a simple "spark" card that aslo works well for viewing your time line on an HDMI monitor. They're stuff all works rather flawlessly, but you have to do with Edius NLE software. Edius does excellent fast real time with Canopus codec without any need for hardware assist, but the software is not as feature rich as Premiere and you don't have all the interaction with Photoshop and After Effects. The Edius interface isn't the best in my opinion and it takes a little while to figure some things out.

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Feb 19, 2009 at 10:30:55 am

I used Edius for a time, back then, it was the only NLE on PC with proper native MXF Op-Atom (DVCPRO-HD) support, highly stable and reliable most of the time and very fast. Every software choice is a compromise and Edius had a lot of them, i.e audio management was horrendous, keyframing stuff was either not possible or outright a pain in the ass, UI was cluttered and the bin was a source of program crashes.

Premiere is a much more complete NLE, yet it still doesn't have the stability it should have had by now and CS4 isn't bringing that much more stability, at least in the version it is now.

Return to posts index

Tilford Bartman
on Feb 19, 2009 at 11:45:11 am

Edius is now up to version Edius 5. It is more "complete" than it was a few years ago, but still rock solid even in Vista 64, and fast. It has more plug ins available now, and hardware for monitoring the time line or encoding for DVD or Blue Ray. You can download a trial version on their website.

Right now I'd like to stick with premiere and Cineform, with a card for viewing the time line on an HDMI monitor. But right now it's not available, and when and if it is. . . it has to actually work! If this doesn't happen within a month or two, I'm going to to to Edius 5.

Tilford

Return to posts index

Randy Johnson
on Feb 20, 2009 at 2:42:09 am

i'll trade anyone a Intensity pro board and a Bella Premiere Pro keyboard for a HD spark. I'll even pay shipping! I was on the fence between using good ole reliable Edius or learning Premiere Pro with a Intensity pro card. I made the wrong choice.

Randy Johnson
Rando1968@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 20, 2009 at 4:28:34 pm

What's killing me now is that I just got CS4. It's a pain I know, but I'm going to rely on CS3 drivers for now, for my hot new HD Extreme 3.

Sad face.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Rick Godin
on Feb 20, 2009 at 4:41:46 pm

I don't hate anyone, in fact, I love the improvements in CS4 over CS3 in many ways. And having it in a 64bit environments saves me time every day. Not being the expert, can't say for sure that any bugs, hangups, or memory dump crashes are Adobe's error, Microsoft's, or the workstation itself. But all in all, CS4 workflow is way beyond what it was before especially when doing projects which go in multiple directions/formats/mediums at the same time with the same story.

I just want to hook my ol' BetaSP deck to the darn system for direct ingestion of vintage material and output for those stations who can't use digital files for commercials yet. Blackmagic, gimme, please!!!! It looks so great!! And no way am I going back to CS3.

Return to posts index

Rick Godin
on Feb 20, 2009 at 5:35:39 pm

agree with so much above. After having been tied to a keyboard editing since the TurboCube (Mac) and Postbox (win3.1) era, the only thing that has provented me from killing myself, others around me, and definitely black boxes full of chips and drives, has been the sneeze-like reflex of, "work, work, CTRL-S, work, work, CTRL-S...." Don't care what the software, what the OS, what the box it's in, "...work, work, CTRL-S". Makes you a happier person when all flushes down the center pixel on the monitor.

Still beats carrying a thousand pounds of tape decks, swithcers, sync-boxes and monitors (and cheaper) to some location on the other side of the world. But have to admit that I have days when I want to get out the ol' hammer (ver. 1.1) and go back in carpentry biz, but then I think better of that.

And that's what I think!

Return to posts index

Brett Kelly
on Feb 21, 2009 at 10:05:31 am

Funny how RED can release CS4 presets and support after the 4.0.1 update but blackmagic can't..........

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 27, 2009 at 4:30:50 pm

RED also doesn't seem to mind being in perpetual beta. Have you used the RED on Premiere, how is the performance?

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Brett Kelly
on Feb 27, 2009 at 11:06:01 pm

RED works brilliantly in CS4.

Return to posts index

Robert Myers
on Feb 27, 2009 at 3:41:34 pm

Subscribed for an update. I spent hours yesterday trying to get my Intensity Pro to work with PPCS4 to no avail. Good to see it's possibly not my fault ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]