FORUMS: list search recent posts

Analog to sdi mini converter

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Garza
Analog to sdi mini converter
on Feb 6, 2009 at 6:57:50 am

Has anyone used one of these yet and if so how was it. I have a canon xh a1 and want to use it to convert the compenant and rca audio to sdi to capture into a flash xdr. what i dont know is if there is a way to make it portable and if the converter has a way to balance the audio or make it correct db when it comes out sdi like the aja one does.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Analog to sdi mini converter
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:59:25 pm

I have used the Blackmagic analog to SDI mini converter for a Beta 1800 VTR, and it is WONDERFUL. You take the analog CAV video, and embed the analog audio, and it comes out SDI. It's GREAT. This is an AC powered unit. I am not aware of a way to make it (or the AJA or the Cobalt Digital, or the Miranda Pico converter) battery operated. I do not see any -10dB input switch on this unit, so it probably will NOT amplify or adjust the signal level for a lower audio input (coming from the RCA jacks on your camera).

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Feb 9, 2009 at 1:48:03 am

I have the AJA version for my HVX200, They sell it either AC or battery powered, I have the battery version it plugs into the Anton Bauer battery that also powers the Marshall monitor. I love it, makes connecting the Large panasonic 26" monitor easy and I can supply SDI to the video assist to down convert. For client viewing.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 9, 2009 at 4:06:16 am

I love it, makes connecting the Large panasonic 26" monitor easy

you run the BT-LH2600W on battery power in the field ??????

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Feb 9, 2009 at 10:41:08 pm

Noooo Bob, I can run the AJA mini converter by battery. The monitor is on A/C. With the HVX200 on a dolly, the last thing I need is another AC line coming in on top of all the other cables, Sound, Video etc. Running the AJA box by battery just cuts down on the clutter.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:08:50 am

Hi Peter --

are you making your own +5VDC converter cable - because AJA doesn't sell one. How are you DC powering your AJA mini converter ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:12:29 am

I don't know what Peter is talking about. AJA does not appear to sell a special DC version of their mini converter line. Certainly a custom cable can be made up. The Blackmagic mini converters take a standard 12VDC power. This means that you can RIG UP a battery (like an Anton Bauer) with the right adaptor (from Radio Shack, etc.) to give the Blackmagic mini converter +12VDC, and do the same thing with this, that you can do with the AJA.

SO PETER, exactly what did AJA sell you go DC power your converter, or did you make up a cable for this ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Feb 10, 2009 at 5:10:54 pm

BOB, AJA certainly do make a 5v version of this mini converter, (speak to George at AJA) and yes I did make my own cable, but AJA sold me the connectors that they use, they also sent me the the cable diagram(thanks to Kathy Mendoza at AJA). One end of the cable has the twist lock pluck that goes on to the converter box and the other has an Anton Bauer plug that goes into the Zacuto battery holder on the camera rails. Here is a copy of an email that they sentme.

Hi Peter -
I have attached the picture of our Anton Bower cable and the pin out for the female ends that we use. If you need for us to send the ends to you, let us know! If you have any questions or need any other info, please let us know.
Thank you!
Have a great day!
Kathy
--
Kathy Mendoza
AJA Video Systems Inc
443 Crown Point Circle
Grass Valley, CA 95945
530-271-3181
kathym@aja.com

Now will you believe me BOB.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 11, 2009 at 2:27:08 am

Now will you believe me BOB.

just jealous that I didn't know this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Luke Garza
on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:39:17 am

Hey bob when you did use it for your beta vtr did you have to mess with the audio signal at all or did it seem right level.

What is cav, is that compenant cable sorry dont know the proper terms.

Peter would you be willing to make me a cable like you did and sell it to me since i have no clue how to make one.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 11, 2009 at 9:10:24 pm

CAV is component analog video. The Beta Y R-Y B-Y signal (being called Y Pb Pr these days) is the CAV signal. This goes into the AJA or Blackmagic converter, and gets turned into SDI. You stick the analog audio into these boxes, and it embeds the audio. There is nothing to "mess" with.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nick Gold
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:05:55 pm

Folks, I know this is an older thread but I was doing research on the topic of using AJA Mini COnverters off of battery for field work, and look what I found -- a pre-made product to do just this from a company called Nebtek:

http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=LIBA5&cat=49

Nick Gold
Chesapeake Systems

Return to posts index

Terry West
on Oct 19, 2009 at 3:47:49 pm

I have been making power cables for both the AJA and Redbyte converters for some time now. Usually to either Steadicam Power or Camera Power. But It depends on what my customers need (XLR, Anton Bauer PTap...). Does anyone on this forum know the size of the Black Magic DC connector?

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:56:57 pm

Hi Terry,

The connector is 2.1x5.5mm Center Positive Standard.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Terry West
on Oct 20, 2009 at 12:40:05 am

Yes this does help. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Peter Mackay
on Feb 11, 2009 at 8:20:33 pm

Luke contact me by email

exposure111@mac.com

Return to posts index

Luke Garza
on Feb 12, 2009 at 9:38:02 am

Bob i asked about the audio from the rcas because in your review of the aja converter you say how the audio is -10db and not +4 which you say is pro.

You then put how the aja lets you make it right with the dip switches and i think you called it csmr.

One thing you never did say was how was the quality of the conversion from analog to digital.

Return to posts index

Luke Garza
on Feb 13, 2009 at 11:04:47 pm

Hey peter i emailed you but dont know if you got it or not. If now here is mine
LK_garza34@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]