FORUMS: list search recent posts

1 hr. capture destroys Hard Drive ?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Hartwell
1 hr. capture destroys Hard Drive ?
on Jan 28, 2009 at 5:45:21 pm

Intensity Pro

Have you ever heard of a long capture destroying a hard drive ?

The drive has worked fine for the past year, and was able to previously playback my short-time test captures, but,

after a recent long 1 hr. capture to check out audio sync, the drive would not playback properly, playback became jerky, stuttery, choking, even halting altogether, using all available memory the computer itself freezes up, and I have to shut it off and reboot, regardless of what program I tried to play the file back with.

I figured the file was corrupt, deleted it, and tried playing back other video media files of various formats and codecs. None of those would playback properly either anymore from this same hard drive.

I transfered some of those files to another drive, and from there they would playback properly.

I reformatted the problem drive, but that did not help.

Ever heard of this problem ?

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
Re: 1 hr. capture destroys Hard Drive ?
on Jan 28, 2009 at 5:50:46 pm

Capturing stresses a drive.It probably was stressed enough to start having problems, especially if it's not properly cooled.It could be a faulty drive. when was it purchased?

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: 1 hr. capture destroys Hard Drive ?
on Jan 31, 2009 at 10:09:16 am

Hi.

If you use just one physical drive then no wonders there if you have small slow almost full drive.

Now you just filled it with more demanding long file and voila you got the need for decent array or just meybe two drives striped depenging your format and compression.

Make BM drive test and post the results here and tell what compression do you use and how big the drive is etc. Otherwise it is more guess work like i have a computer and it does not work. Who knows maybe you have C64 running there ;)

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]