FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDlink and Quicktime to LCD

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hernan Barangan
HDlink and Quicktime to LCD
on Jan 15, 2009 at 12:44:06 am

Hi y'all,
I have an HDlink and HDextreme card in my rig - for monitoring I have the HDlink going out to my 42inch Aquos.
It works Beautifully with Final Cut and After Effects,
BUT whenever I want to show something out of Quicktime, fullscreen - the image gets choppy, dropping frames. Now I realize the difference might be the fact that it's using the Aqous as a computer monitor at that point - but is there a setting I can tweak or anything I can do to display these more smoothly?
Thanks,
Hernan

Return to posts index

Doug Normington
Re: HDlink and Quicktime to LCD
on Jan 15, 2009 at 12:53:40 am

Hi,

I don't have an answer for your problem but I am wondering if you have nad any problems with Decklink HD Extreme. Are you running this on MAC?

I have a brand new MacPro OSX 10.5

I installed the Decklink HD Extreme Card. The computer ran fine with the card being in there.

Then a couple days later I installed the software. On the restart the computer hangs the moment the desktop background appears on the monitors. No Mouse. No keyboard. Nothing.

I rebooted in safe mode. Uninstalled the software. Computer ran fine.

Went to Blackmagic design site. Downloaded the 6.8.6 driver. Installed it. SAME RESULT. computer hangs on boot up when the desktop appears. Total Freeze Up.

NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NOW....

Doug Normington
NORMCO Multi-Media, Inc.
(608) 824-0999 Office
(608) 345-7579 Cel

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 15, 2009 at 1:27:31 am

there is nothing wrong with your HDLink or your Sharp Aquos display.
"Choppy" and dropped frames means that your disk drives are too slow. What resolution are you trying to play (what is your compression ratio), and what disk drives are you using.

If you are trying to play a 23.98 or 24 FCS job on an Aquos, it may not display it properly. Choose a 59.94 or 29.97 playback output, and it will look smooth (if your drive are fast enough).

You have not stated what disk drives you are using. If you have a fast modern disk drive array (like Cal Digit, Maxx Digital, Dulce, etc.) you should have no issues. But if you are trying to playback HD on the internal drive of your computer, you will fail.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Hernan Barangan
on Jan 15, 2009 at 2:39:36 am

Hi Bob,
Yeah I have no problem running HD out via Final Cut, I'm running off a raid for that stuff.
I'm talking about - once I'm out of FCP,
and that Aquos is basically acting as my third monitor,
I'm trying to view quicktimes on that monitor fullscreen
the playback skips frames.
And these quicktimes are not full HD at all - but they play fine on my normal monitors and as soon as they go out to the aquos, they get choppy.
any thoughts?
thanks

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jan 15, 2009 at 5:43:02 am

Hi Hernan,

You're attempting to use your DeckLink display output as a computer monitor. Unfortunately, you will not get the best performance out of it due to the limited amount of memory available compared to a typical "computer" type graphics card.

If you want to play a video full screen, I would recommend using the free Blackmagic Deck Control application which is installed by the driver in your Applications folder.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]