FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multibridge Extreme PCIe problem

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Owens
Multibridge Extreme PCIe problem
on Jan 14, 2009 at 8:39:20 pm

Hello. We recently upgraded to a brand new 2x2.8 GHZ Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro tower. The PCIe card from our old G5 that controls the MBE breakout box is not being seen by the new Mac. Any thoughts? I did install it in the recommended top 4x slot but nothing! Thanks.

Nate Owens
Multi-Media Operations Manager
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
Re: Multibridge Extreme PCIe problem
on Jan 14, 2009 at 8:47:13 pm

Hello Nate,

You may have to configure the slot in the bios on a PC, not sure if that is the same on a Mac probaly once you are logged in via a control panel. Have you also tried to re-seat the PCI-E card?

Leo

Return to posts index

Nate Owens
on Jan 14, 2009 at 8:52:34 pm

Hi Leo. Thanks for checking in. I've reseated it several times. There is a Expansion Slot Utility within the OS X systemlibrary folder but when i go to launch it, a message pops up saying this computer is not allowed to run that program! Very odd...

Nate Owens

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Jan 14, 2009 at 9:12:32 pm

Hello Nate,

Hmm, that is odd have you tried re-setting your permissions? or creating a new user account?

Return to posts index

Nate Owens
on Jan 14, 2009 at 9:22:38 pm

No but I may give that a shot. Hope to hear from BM folks here as well. I also wonder if the card is too old (circa 2005) to work in the newest Mac Pro.

Nate Owens

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jan 14, 2009 at 10:43:59 pm

Does the card show up in 'about this mac' "PCI CARDS"? Make sure the MBE is connected as well when you do this.

baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Nate Owens
on Jan 15, 2009 at 2:02:45 pm

Hi Baz. I did check there and nothing!!

Nate Owens

Return to posts index

Nate Owens
on Jan 16, 2009 at 2:46:29 pm

Still no luck with my Mac recognizing this card. We bought 2 new identical G8's and neither recognizes the PCIe card. I also fiqured out that the expansion slot utility is apparently not used in the latest Intel chip Macs as the PCI slots apparently configure themselves when a card is added. Any more insight especially from BM moderator would be great!!

Nate Owens

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jan 17, 2009 at 6:17:23 pm

Just curious.

Did you install drivers 6.8.7?

Return to posts index

Marcia Kapustin
on Jan 20, 2009 at 12:32:09 am

Hello Nate,

I am having a similar issue. Have an 8-core that is not recognizing the PCIe card in slot 4 (or slot 3 for that matter)... Very odd. My multibridge pro is also not happy, as I did a firmware upgrade and now the unit just keeps trying to cycle up and blinks on and off. Very frustrated as well, and hope someone can help us both.

Thanks, good luck, and stay in touch in case there is any update.

Marcia Kapustin
Owner Kosher Pixels

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Jan 20, 2009 at 4:57:44 am

Log on as Administrator go to HD>System>Library>Core Services and you should be able to open the Expansion Slot Utility. Setup slot 4 for 4 lane, and everything should work. You might need a cold reboot after change before it will initialize.
One caveat here would be if you have a couple of 16 lane PCIe graphics cards installed in your workstation that would be hogging all express lane resources. If so the Multibridge will never work in that config.

Return to posts index

Nate Owens
on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:21:32 pm

Hello All! Just got back in the office this AM. On friday, I contacted BM tech support and after determining that I was still under the 3 year warranty (just barely!) they gave me an RMA to send the whole unit in for diagnosis. I will report back to this thread when I get the unit back and hopefully up and running again.

Nate

Nate Owens

Return to posts index

Adam Levine
on Jan 30, 2009 at 8:24:36 pm

Hi. I seem to be having much the same problem.

I've had a Multibridge Extreme in my G5 Quad since March, 2006. It's always worked just fine all the way through when I pulled it out of the G5 yesterday to transfer to a Mac Pro (1st Gen) Quad Core that I got from a friend. The Mac Pro will not recognize the Multibridge no matter what I do. I have tried:

1) Reseating the card
2) Trying in Slots 3 and 4
3) Repeated uninstall/installs of drivers

I am running the 2nd config (16x, 1x, 4x, 4x) in the Expansion Slot Utility. There is a Sonnet E4P in slot 3.

Any thoughts on this or will this thing not work in a Mac Pro?

Adam Levine
Squeeze A Nickel Productions

Return to posts index

Marcia Kapustin
on Jan 30, 2009 at 8:36:34 pm

Thanks Gene. I got back my multibridge from BlackMagic and they said that it was fine but needed the firmware to go back from standalone converter. Anyway, when I popped it in, it worked (recognized slot 4) and was fine for about 6 hours. Then the fan revved up like a motorcycle (revving up and down and up and down) and after that it just continuously crashed my Final Cut. I have sent an email back to the BlackMagic folks (who were very fast in responding and sent an RMA quickly - thanks!), and awaiting their next response. Adam, Hopefully this way helps to wake up your slot 4.

Marcia

by Gene Colburn on Jan 19, 2009 at 8:57:44 pm

Log on as Administrator go to HD>System>Library>Core Services and you should be able to open the Expansion Slot Utility. Setup slot 4 for 4 lane, and everything should work. You might need a cold reboot after change before it will initialize.
One caveat here would be if you have a couple of 16 lane PCIe graphics cards installed in your workstation that would be hogging all express lane resources. If so the Multibridge will never work in that con

Return to posts index

Adam Levine
on Jan 30, 2009 at 9:21:00 pm

Is there a way to force a firmware update on this thing? I thought it was just automatic when new firmware was available. Can a factory restore be performed?

Adam Levine
Squeeze A Nickel Productions

Return to posts index

Nate Owens
on Jan 30, 2009 at 9:51:34 pm

Hi All! When all was said and done, BM sent us a new BME box. They said my PCIe card was fine but there was a problem with the box itself. Adam, if you can, try to contact BM at their # on the website. It may take awhile to get through but they are very responsive to questions (at least with me!) Good luck, Nate

Nate Owens

Return to posts index

Adam Levine
on Jan 30, 2009 at 10:58:47 pm

I was able to fix the problem:

Shutdown
Pull all cards but video card
Startup
Login as root