FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink and HDCP (HD copy protection)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donovan Kosters
Decklink and HDCP (HD copy protection)
on Jan 8, 2009 at 12:08:06 am

Quick question about HD copy protection and how it relates to specific Blackmagic hardware. I am the post supervisor of a company that works with many of the larger studios in Los Angeles. More and more of our clients at these studios are asking if it is possible to use blu-ray disks as source material for final delivery rather than having to create HDCAM or D-5 masters for us which is what we currently use (I knew this was only a matter of time since so many producers think it's a great idea to use DVDs as source for SD projects).

My question is, does anyone have any direct experience with any of the Blackmagic hardware that will strip the copyright management and pass the video signal through from an HDMI source? On the Blackmagic site the Intensity Pro HDMI card specifically says that it will not capture HDMI source with copy protection. I am looking at the Decklink HD Extreme and also the Mini Converter HDMI to SDI box, neither of these make any mention of the copy protection. Has anyone done this or know if either of these two products will work?

We're at a point at our company that I'm working on upgrading some of our workflows since so many people think it's cheaper to avoid the HDCAM and D-5 tapes (I personally would be just fine continuing to use the tapes, but I don't always get to decide). Right now I have 1 FCP online system running an AJA Kona 3 and 6 offline systems all running the previous Decklink HD Extreme Cards without the HDMI I/O option since it wasn't available at the time I installed them.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations on any products out there to help me accomplish this.

dK

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Decklink and HDCP (HD copy protection)
on Jan 8, 2009 at 1:28:11 am

Hi Donovan,

None of our products will not strip HDCP from a a protected HDMI stream.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Donovan Kosters
on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:06:16 am

Thanks Kristian,

I'm aware it's part of the spec, just curious. Again, thanks for the response.

dK

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jan 8, 2009 at 11:24:20 pm

We have been using the analog HD component outputs of the BR player to achieve Blu-ray to timeline functionality.
Many people say analog is a dirty word but it is a means to an end and furthermore, HD component was the only VTR interface to screens when they were first introduced and it is still included today with most models.

As a side issue, other brand HDMI capture devices like the Matrox MXO2 also will not strip off the media management so lets all wait for someone to hack a PS3 or something.

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Donovan Kosters
on Jan 9, 2009 at 7:30:09 pm

Thanks for the response Baz. I have been working with the component inputs as my source for HD from Blu-Ray and I don't think analog is dirty word. It just would be nice to keep it digital if possible. The problem for professionals and pros about encryption on Blu Ray for the studios is how the encryption works within the HDMI spec. Unlike Macrovision and other similar encryption schemes this not a one time crack as the Blu-Ray spec supports a rolling 'key' for the copy protection which can be updated at any time, because of that someone may get it to work once, but wouldn't be able to repeat the process with another disk.

Thanks again for the great response!

dK

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jan 10, 2009 at 1:28:18 am

[Donovan Kosters] "the Blu-Ray spec supports a rolling 'key' for the copy protection which can be updated at any time, because of that someone may get it to work once, but wouldn't be able to repeat the process with another disk."

Hey Donovan, yes that is the theory but I look at things in a more simplistic way; if a screen can take a HDMI signal and allow it to be displayed no mater what, then 'someone' will sooner or later apply that algorithm to a 'black box' somehow.

The fact of the matter is that if a domestic screen can do it surely a product that can take a HDMI signal to 'record' it should be able to do it. Furthermore, 'rolling keys' are hackers favorite challenges isn't it?

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Jan 10, 2009 at 6:25:38 pm

This thing:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Claims to strip the blu-ray encryption, so it is maybe possible to send a digital signal by using a PC.

Although I haven't tested it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]