FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic mjpeg codec... not as good image quality as mjpeg-A codec?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Peters
Blackmagic mjpeg codec... not as good image quality as mjpeg-A codec?
on Jan 5, 2009 at 3:34:17 am

I thought that the Blackmagic mjpeg codec was like "the PC:s equivalent" to PRores. Well not quite, but I thought it was much better than HDV and DVCPro HD. Like the second best to uncompressed.

OK.

But why are the files so extremely small? They are much smaller than I expected. I donĀ“t want small filesizes, I want good quality. If I use mjpeg-A I can get much bigger files, and bigger files means better quality. Right?

It is very difficult to find information about comparisons between mjpeg-A and Blackmagic mjpeg. Wich one is better? And how does mjpeg compare to DVCProHD in image quality?

Smaller filesizes is of no interest, I prefer big files. Although not completely uncompressed... that is too big. And sadly Cineform is not an option since it cannot be outputted with Blackmagic HD Extreme to a reference monitor.

Any mjpegexperts out there?

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Blackmagic mjpeg codec... not as good image quality as mjpeg-A codec?
on Jan 5, 2009 at 4:52:52 am

Hi George,

Bigger files does not mean you get better quality. I think the best way to go is to judge with your own eyes as to how the quality compares. One difference between the BMD MJPEG and DVCPRO HD is that the MJPEG is 1920x1080 while DVCPRO HD is only 1440x1080 or 1280x1080.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]