FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink Drivers for CS4!

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Howe
Decklink Drivers for CS4!
on Dec 18, 2008 at 3:56:54 am

As the world waits for CS4 drivers...what can we do?

Take some time off for christmas...yeah!

This message has two functions. Firstly, a friendly little poke at the BM developers...yes we are thinking of you...slaving away deep in the matrix...attempting to unravel the mystery of Premiere CS4's bizzare need to shove everything out through the media encoder.

Keep at it guys...hopefully we will see something soon.

Secondly, to get the CS4 driver issue back to the top of the COW..after all, if we're thinking of you...the least you can be doing is returning the favour.

No Rum egg-nog till the job's done.

Ho,ho,ho.

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Decklink Drivers for CS4!
on Dec 18, 2008 at 11:20:33 pm

Hi Brett,

Noted ;)

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Craig Howard
on Dec 21, 2008 at 8:53:00 pm

Call me cynical but...I doubt we will ever see a driver for Premiere CS4.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CS3 Premiere Pro Production Premium Suite
Windows XP32:Assus P5k Mob,4mb Ram, 1333 fsb
P2 Workflows

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Dec 21, 2008 at 10:56:30 pm

Craig....your'e cynical!

Please explain your conspiracy theory????

Brett Howe
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Craig Howard
on Dec 22, 2008 at 8:04:53 pm

I have seen an Adobe Version upgrade create unsurmaountable problems for software developers to overcome in the past.

My guess is that the issues with CS4 Playback and Scrub could be causing BM a headache.

Craig Howard
Shooter Film Company
Auckland
New Zealand

Adobe CS3 Premiere Pro Production Premium Suite
Windows XP32:Assus P5k Mob,4mb Ram, 1333 fsb
P2 Workflows

Return to posts index

Anthony Smith
on Dec 29, 2008 at 5:51:04 am

I'm taking my PCI-X Decklink out of my recently fried G5 Mac (with FCP) and putting it in a newly built PC. However, I've just discovered that CS4 isn't supported.
Trying to find a copy of CS3 to purchase is nigh on impossible. What to do ?

Flicking through the latest B&H catalogue, I've noticed that they're offering turnkey systems featuring Blackmagic products bundled with CS4....what gives ?

Smudge

Return to posts index

Rick Godin
on Jan 13, 2009 at 8:03:14 pm

Any word on the CS4 drivers? I just did the same thing: upgraded to CS4 and Vista 64bit last month, bought the Decklink card from B&H (where CS4 was displayed as an accessory purchase) and NO GO!

At least Premiere still works in Firewire mode for time being. rg

You never get hurt in the air!

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Jan 14, 2009 at 6:18:45 am

The unnofficial word is it will be available before the end of the month.

Shouldn't have to wait too long, all going to plan.

Brett Howe
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

George Sey
on Dec 30, 2008 at 3:24:59 am

I believe you Buddy. It looks like CS4 as a whole is stronger without the Decklinks. so Decklink might end at CS3.

Return to posts index

Randy Johnson
on Jan 3, 2009 at 2:30:28 am

I spoke to someone at BMD today they said about a month. Maybe a little more. Maybe id better send my Intensity pro back just in case while I still can. I only have CS4 and have no interest in going backwards.

Randy

Randy Johnson
Rando1968@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Bill Buchanan
on Jan 6, 2009 at 4:34:34 pm

Hmmm. Familiar refrain from an organization close to going belly up, which I hope is not the case. That said, time to consider AJA et al solutions.

Bill Buchanan
Buchanan Film Co

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jan 6, 2009 at 10:25:29 pm

Hi,

I can go on the record and say that we are committed to CS4 support but there are major architectural changes going from CS3 to CS4 which requires a lot of work to be done. Unfortunately, we can't provide a date at this point as there are factors beyond our control which will affect when we can ship. Hopefully, I will have more information in the next few days.

As for us going belly up? Sorry, we're planning to hang around for a while ;)

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Bill Buchanan
on Jan 6, 2009 at 11:21:05 pm

I thought my post would get your attention. I'm not the least concerned about BMD's issues with the "major architectural changes going from CS3 to CS4..." That is BMD's problem and only BMD's problem. Such a lame, amateurish excuse is the equivalent of me telling a client/broadcaster that I can't make a deadline for deliverables because I have a software or some other problem. That's not their problem; it's mine and I would and should suffer the consequences.

In my view, BMD should have had a driver out for CS4 a long time ago. Though CS4 is still considered by many pros to be an 'alternative' editing app, I find it in most ways a professional editing tool that rivals if not equals FCP and Avid.

Come on. Get your engineers off your asses and get that driver out, please.

Bill Buchanan
Buchanan Film Co

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Jan 7, 2009 at 12:08:08 am

I started this post, as like many others I was frustrated with the progress on the driver front, and fair enough.

Firtly, Kristian, thankyou for keeping us in the loop. It would be much easier to hide out until the drivers arrive, but I think most people here at the cow appreciate the contact.

But Bill, your rhetoric is way mis-directed. And as for speculating on BM's business future...it sounds like you work for martox!

NOBODY HAS RELEASED DRIVERS FOR CS4!

Not AJA, Not Matrox, Not Bluefish444, Nobody. So before you stick the boot in, why don't you do a little research.

I have been working on a magazine article, and I have had several "off the record" comments along these lines.

I, as you all, would have assumed, that third party developers had access SDK's to begin the support process well before the release of the product. It seems likely, that this was not the case, as the premiere release required the .1 update to even cater for third party driver support.

It was alsoo ADOBE who stated on their website, support from 3rd party cards for CS4. The card manufactures themselves, have made no such claim as yet. Interstingly, I think we need to define the term support...as apposed to AVAILABLE NOW.

And thirdly, If you have CS4, you would have noticed some differences right away. The initial setup of a project is new, to cater for the use of multiple resolution sequences in the same project, plus all outputs are exported through the media encoder now. These two issues alone require many software changes from the existing system.

So I can see the issues, and although I don't like them, and I'm dissapointed I can't use CS4 to the capacity I'd like, referring to them as lame and ametuerish excuses, is like telling a mechanic he's crap because he can't fit the chevy gearbox into your mitsubishi!

Maybe you can tell your clients instead, that the worlds largest creative software company has spread it's own recources so thin, that in a desperte attempt to get another release out to generate more revenue for it's share-holders, it forgot, or chose not to implememnt the very things that allowed it to become a professional option in the first place...allegedly!!

Then you can also tell them that you bought it anyway, (with or without the knowledge of driver issues) hoping all would be well by the time you got it all up and running.

For you Bill, I would suggest a "demo" install of CS3, and hopefully. 30 days will be long enough to get you through.

Hey, if you spend as much time reading this, as I did writing it, the time will fly by :)

Brett Howe
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 16, 2009 at 9:32:04 pm

The CS4 drivers for the Matrox RT.X2 card have been out for several weeks already, and I'd imagine that it would be harder to write the drivers for RT.X2 because of all the realtime Matrox effects plugins involved, it's very tightly integrated with Premiere.

http://www.matrox.com:80/video/en/press/releases/adobe_cs4/

Regardless of the programming complexities, the hardware companies can't leave the editors hanging for too long. There was plenty of complaining on the Matrox forum, but they delivered. Maybe the BM users need to make more noise ;-)

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Jan 17, 2009 at 4:00:04 am

Lucky Matrox owners.

Although as I understand it, the drivers were only released early this week...it's the press release that was out in December.

I think we've made plenty of noise, and the BM guys have been in touch.

I think we should have them soon

Brett Howe
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 8, 2009 at 1:58:25 pm

Really should have checked on support BEFORE you upgraded to PP4. The problem is actually yours for NOT doing your research and assuming it would work.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]