FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workgroup hub and video switcher

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Carney
Workgroup hub and video switcher
on Dec 15, 2008 at 6:33:43 pm

I've been looking at the Workgroup hub and wondering if there is a control surface that
can plug in via usb or rs422 and switch between 3 sdi inputs to a single sdi output? (similar to the control surface used by VT[5]). The output will be to an AJA io HD connected to a MacbookPro, input will be 3 Sony EX3s via SDI. Audio will come from a sound console directly into the AJA.
Really wanting to get rid of the current VT[5] solution. I know there is the bmd software, but this I need something for live capture (church service) and I worry it would be too cludgy trying to do things with a mouse.

If this is possible, then I can hook up some sdi field monitors to the hub for preview.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Workgroup hub and video switcher
on Dec 16, 2008 at 2:22:50 am

I don't know what a VT5 is. Do you want a video switcher ? There are countless video switchers on the market - both SDI and HD-SDI.
Is it that you dont' want to spend the money for a Panasonic 4 or 8 input SDI switcher ? This is a standard configuration for what you are describing - a Panasonic AV-HS400 switcher. 4 SDI or HD-SDI inputs, with built in "monitor wall" so you get everything displayed on 1 DVI or VGA (or component) monitor. Everything will output SDI to your I/O HD. You just don't want to spend the money - do you ?

bob zelin

Return to posts index

Joe Carney
Re: Workgroup hub and video switcher
on Dec 16, 2008 at 12:59:34 pm

I'm aware there are several options for video switchers.
VT = Newtek Video Toaster, been around for ever, but they still don't support HD recording, otherwise they would still be an option.
The Panasonic 400 series swticher is way over priced for what you get, but the 300 series can be had for under 7K USD and includes dvi input (a requirement), that's an expensive add on for the 400 series.
Being able to combine all the inputs into a single monitor is nice, but with the cost difference, getting 3 Marshall field monitors would be much less expensive. (It's a 3 camera setup plus input from a powerpoint output device). I'm also checking out Focus Enhancements and DataVideo options too.

I just thought it would be cool to be able to use the WorkGroup hub as a real time switcher to a single capture device like an Aja Io HD or Motu V4D into a MacBook Pro. the only issue being how to implement DVE.
If the Multibridge supported more than 2 inputs, that would be a pretty good option too. Not sure if one could chain 2 of them together or install 2 PCIe cards and work them that way.

And yes you are right, trying to keep the budget under control, though I do understand you get what you pay for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]