FORUMS: list search recent posts

hdlink with the new apple led

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy webb
hdlink with the new apple led
on Dec 9, 2008 at 4:53:55 am

I was looking to order an HDlink and apple 23" cinema display combo when I realized that apple has replaced the 23" lcd with the new led monitor. does anyone have experience with this new monitor and HDlink? is it compatible if I get a mini display port to dvi adapter? is the image quality as good as the old lcds?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: hdlink with the new apple led
on Dec 10, 2008 at 4:23:02 pm

Apple has not REPLACED the Cinema display with the LED display. This new display is specifically for the Mac Book Pro. It uses a unique connector, that also has POWER on it.

MagSafe connector
The LED Cinema Display includes a MagSafe connector that powers and charges your new MacBook. The connector sits on your desk, ready and waiting. No need to unravel the cord to the power adapter that came with your notebook. Leave it exactly where it is, in your bag.

This will NOT work with the HDLink, or AJA HDP (or Gefen, or Doremi) HD-SDI to DVI adaptors.

Buy your Cinema display, or Dell or HP DVI display - it will work wonderfully with the HDLink. Worried about buying an "outdated" display - how about your MAC itself, and your FCP version - remember, MacWorld is next month.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: hdlink with the new apple led
on Dec 17, 2008 at 10:21:17 pm

Right in line with what Bob has said.

It seems that these particular monitor have a proprietary interface (related to display port) which will limit it's audience. I have not seen one yet, nor have I tested it so I am not sure if it will work.

Apple seems to be using Mini Displayport which at this time only apple seems to be using.

Now if you take for instance that the display port signaling should be backwards compatible with DVI then given that the adapters are available then it "MIGHT" work. However without the proper adaptors or the monitor to test I would be hard pressed to tell.

I can certainly see the possibilities for hangups. But don't count DVI out. It will take a goodly amount of time before these disappear, and I certainly wouldn't worry about quality issues.s

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: hdlink with the new apple led (more info)
on Dec 10, 2008 at 4:30:27 pm

The particular implementation doesn't adhere to the official standard; Apple is instead using its own variant, dubbed Mini DisplayPort. This design is actually very convenient and makes for a far smaller, screw-free connection than even full DisplayPort. However, it also locks the display out of any non-Apple computer at present, and only the current MacBook range at that (other Macs are coming soon). There are no existing adapters to convert full DisplayPort, DVI or HDMI to use the display, so those hoping to use older Macs or non-Mac hardware will simply have to wait until if and when peripherals make the link possible.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 18, 2008 at 12:32:54 am

Thanks for that Bob. I was thinking it was gonna be something along those lines based off what I've read about it.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Fernando Ziemer
on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:41:24 am

Hello Bob,

I apologize in advance if you already covered this in one of your answers. I was wondering what is the best I/O video monitoring solution with 3D LUT's for a Macbook Pro user (Mini display port only) besides the Matrox MX02.

I see most boxes have SDI inputs only.

Is there any adapter to bring the video signal from a mini-display port to a SDI ?

Any ideas or solutions will be much appreciated.

-Fernando

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]