FORUMS: list search recent posts

decklink SP and compatible motherboard

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Peacock
decklink SP and compatible motherboard
on Nov 28, 2008 at 10:16:48 pm

HI
Were just putting together a new workstation with the decklink SP card for our betacam deck, and I wondered if the motherboard that we have chosen will work well with the card.
I'm thinking of getting the Tyan Tempest i5000XT.
Does anyone know how well the decklink SP works with the tyan on windows XP SP2, and premier cs3,cs4?

Thanks
Keith

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
Re: decklink SP and compatible motherboard
on Nov 29, 2008 at 7:18:31 pm

I have not used it but have built many systems around Tyan boards.
It looks to be a good choice however, just make sure you look closely at Pwr supply, Ram, Chassis mounts, etc. before you buy. Most likely you are looking at a totally new system, and not a retro of an existing platform.

Also it is a very expensive solution for beta sp editing, You might want to consider an Asus P5NT WS. Has many of same features, but much lower cost. I was surprised by the performance of this and some very expensive alternatives. Especially with a fast quad core cpu. It compares favorably with the Tyan Thunder running fastest dual core opterons, even 10bit SD uncompressed, and for most HD edits. Of course proper raid config is equally important consideration.

Also the Xeons as Apple is aware of are workhorse choice's, and if you really need them, go for it.

Return to posts index

Keith Peacock
on Nov 29, 2008 at 8:06:26 pm

Hi Gene
Thanks for the reply.
I had not thought about the asus as I have a couple of Tyan systems here and they have been rock solid. Yes this is a build from scratch so everything will be brand new. I'm just looking for the least problematic route as I noticed that a lot of the hardware editing systems are usually qualified on Tyan boards.
This Tyan board is qualified for both of Matrox's systems so I figured that the decklink SP would work well in it too.
I have no experiance with the blackmagic products and have read both good and bad about them.
What has your experience been with them?
In the past I have always used Matrox or DPS(Leitch,harris) or what ever company they are now. I have always had great success with them, but this time I dont want to invest in say an Axio LE as the cost is just too high.
Keith

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
on Nov 30, 2008 at 12:57:16 am

[Keith Peacock] "I have no experiance with the blackmagic products and have read both good and bad about them.
What has your experience been with them?"

My experience thus far with BM has been excellent. I have only built with the Multibridge Extremes, and the HD dual link cards from BM on Macs and PCs though, so can't speak to their other offerings. If you build it on a clean system with good hardware choices they perform well. If not you are on your own. I have had a couple of fan issues with the MBE systems built, but not a biggie. In terms of performance and stability they are right up there. Like anything keep em ventilated and cool.

Return to posts index

Keith Peacock
on Nov 30, 2008 at 6:45:53 pm

Thanks for your input Gene.
I'll make sure that I only use the best components.
Keith

Return to posts index

Michael Uribe
How would the Asus Maximus Extreme do vs. others
on Dec 1, 2008 at 1:48:58 am

Looks like you'all got an angle on the motherboards best used when working with the BM HD Extreme capture board.

I have an Asus Maximus Extreme, and am concerned as to the number of PCIe slots I have and the type required for the board and my XFX 8800 video card - but, don't forget, I'll also need to tap into another PCIe slot for the soon to be future external disk array for highspeed storage.

Now, keep in mind I haven't used the remaining 4 SATA ports on the board, I could extend this to 5 if I remove the CD/DVD drive which I rarely use - where I use externals.

So, any suggestions as I jump on the BlackMagic HD Extreme 2 Boat.

Also, what is the difference between the BM HD Extreme 2 and I guess a non "2" board.

Thanks.

MikesMultiMedia.com

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
Re: How would the Asus Maximus Extreme do vs. others
on Dec 1, 2008 at 2:14:40 pm

Q[Michael Uribe] "Also, what is the difference between the BM HD Extreme 2 and I guess a non "2" board."

The difference is mainly the existence of HDMI ports.

[Michael Uribe] "I'll also need to tap into another PCIe slot for the soon to be future external disk array for highspeed storage."

This mainboard has three pcie ports, none of them are x1 so it looks like you won't have problems installing a fibre channel or eSATA card in your system.

Bu the way the X58 chipset on desktop mainboards looks interesting, allowing more memory and pcie cards...
Take a look at this one for instance:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?Prod...

However one always takes chances when using "enthusiast" motherboards so it is always a risk...

Return to posts index

Gene Colburn
Re: How would the Asus Maximus Extreme do vs. others
on Dec 3, 2008 at 5:57:32 am

Mike - I know nothing about the Maximus Extreme, so can't add much there.

[Aristides Tiropolis] "Bu the way the X58 chipset on desktop mainboards looks interesting, allowing more memory and pcie cards...
Take a look at this one for instance:"

Yeah I saw the X58 Intel is eliminating the FSB. I hope they do a better job than AMD when they introduced their firsts. I have a whole very large cupboard full of that bunk. Remember Hypertransport?(Similar marketing hype) Not to say they didn't get it right.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]