FORUMS: list search recent posts

decklink HD Extreme 2 doesn't accelerate

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tania Dorado
decklink HD Extreme 2 doesn't accelerate
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:12:36 pm

Hi, we bought the decklink HD Extreme 2 (PClE), and build it in our workstation (HP xw64000), installed the driver and codecs, but it is not accelerating our work at all.
The card is supposed to allow being able to work in real-time in AE and PPro, but it is not doing it. In AE, for example, the "old" graphic card still has to do the rendering in order to get a preview, and it takes just the same amount of time as before (no real time).
The preview that we get occurs on a separate monitor, (that’s ok) but we don’t get real time.

What are we doing wrong? Is there a setting that has to be set in a specific way? Do we need to install some other external tool?

Our workstation has the following characteristics.
HP xw6400
4 Gig Ram
Graphic card Nvidia Quadro FX 570
dual xeon processors 5150@2660 Hz
SATA Disks
2 LCD HP L2245w Display + HDMI Preview 720p

Tania

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
Re: decklink HD Extreme 2 doesn't accelerate
on Nov 27, 2008 at 1:41:53 pm

I guess I should let you know that cards like The BM Extreme or AJA Kona/Xena are not "renderers" but cards dedicated on providing an HD Workflow on an editor or compositor... Which means: HD-SDI inputs-outputs, Serial deck control, video/audio-analog out/in etc...

The Card has realtime features but these are limited to supporting proper "video streams" to put a very generic term...

Functionality on programs like AE or Combustion are there for previewing (frame buffer) in professional equipment or ingesting material...

After Effects and all other compositors for that matter, always require CPU speed and memory in order to render... The better the cpu/more ram the quicker the render

Real time support on this level and on i.e NLE's has for some time been the issue of the software itself, CPU/RAM and now all the more lately, the graphics card and its processor...

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Nov 28, 2008 at 4:12:31 pm

[Tania Dorado] "The card is supposed to allow being able to work in real-time in AE and PPro"

Tania, I wonder where you got the idea that the Blackmagic card is an "accelerator" ... it is basically an I/O card.. that is all. Did your dealer tell you that it accelerates After Effects? That is not correct.

Jason

Return to posts index

David Cheok
on Dec 2, 2008 at 5:58:42 pm

Actually, it is supposed to view more effects in real-time hence help with the processing load. However, i think any speed differences would only be effective in using BM's own codec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]