FORUMS: list search recent posts

capturing digital betacam AES/EBU digital audio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary french
capturing digital betacam AES/EBU digital audio
on Nov 19, 2008 at 1:05:32 am

I have a question regarding capturing from DVW-500P Digital BETACAM Recorder to Black Magic HD extreme card into final cut pro 6.0. When using the default black magic 8 bit capture codec from digibeta AES/EBU digital audio, the resulting audio shows that it is captured at 48khz, 24bits per channel. If the digital beta deck only has the capacity of bringing in four channels of uncompressed 48 kHz / 20 bit PCM-encoded audio, how does the black magic codec account for the 4 bits (difference from the 24 bit audio captured by the codec?

I cannot find a way with the codec to capture less than 24 bits,

Can anyone help with this? Tech support was terrible in trying to answer this.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: capturing digital betacam AES/EBU digital audio
on Nov 19, 2008 at 4:27:12 am

Hi.

As i see it it is in hardware to capture 24 bit.
For me it is like capturing analogue video trough firewire a bit. You just ingest bit lower quality material to higher container. I can not tell if it will make any difference at all. What i would do .... i would capture audio trough SDI if possible. No conversion wondering there. Recorder gives out SDI and your card inputs standardized SDI signal and all should be well and if eny bit issues it is handled on hardware level as a standard ... i'm not so sure if AES does not convert or fine tune something with signal. It should not but god knows or some hardcore tech fellows :)

I have always used SDI with digibetas and no problems there.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]