Q's about Intensity Pro

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Serg Rodriguez
Q's about Intensity Pro
on Nov 15, 2008 at 10:07:43 pm

Hey everyone,

Runnning FCP 6.0.4, 8 core, 2 gigs ram

I've heard alot of greats things about this card for capture and all but all I really want to use it for (for right now) is to monitor my mixed XHA1 and HV20 24f footage. Wouldn't be using an HDMI monitor, yet, just a regular SD vid monitor.

So can I be editing in Final Cut and monitor with no problems once I have this card? I'm confused because I keep reading there is no 24p software support from BM. Thanks

Return to posts index

Ri Stewart
Re: Q's about Intensity Pro
on Nov 21, 2008 at 7:10:29 am

Yes, there is no 24p timeline for the BlackMagic Intensity Pro.

It's kind of a funny thing, as really... inputting via HDMI on anything shot to tape will have no better color space than the HDV codec. Why input with the BM card then, unless in a studio?

I find I bring in my HDV, change it to Prores, and then edit. Prores in the timeline too, but there is no 24p output for the BM card.

Damn, I just wish it's outputs would work. That's what I picked it up for, to send component to an HD TV. It showed up today, and none of the component outs are showing picture.

I'm seriously thinking of returning it for the Kona LHe.

Return to posts index

Serg Rodriguez
Re: Q's about Intensity Pro
on Nov 21, 2008 at 7:18:39 pm

Hi Stewart, here's what BlackMagic responded with when I e-mailed them directly:

"We do not list 720p24 as a supported resolution because we do not havesupport for 24p ingest, only for editing any playback. If you have an HDmonitor, you can output your 720p24 footage using our cards as there will bea 3:2 pulldown applied to this so it is actually outputting at 59.94 (whichmost monitors can work with as most won't display native 24p.) However, if you are planning to downconvert this to SD, our cards will notdo the cross conversion for this frame rate. It will only downconvert59.94. So 1080i 59.94 or 720p 59.94 can be downconverted with our card, but24p will not. Hope this clears things up. Regards, Albert ChuSupport EngineerBlackmagic Design Inc.http://www.blackmagic-design.com"

So if I'm reading this right, just straight monitoring of 24p ( he only mentions 720p because 1080i 24p is still technically interlaced, right?) should work, but this hasn't been the case for you Stewart?

"However, if you are planning to downconvert this to SD, our cards will notdo the cross conversion for this frame rate."

Lame, i think this means I wouldn't be able to use my SD monitor either.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]