FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD transcoder for Intensity JPEG or pain of manual capture

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexey Smirnov
AVCHD transcoder for Intensity JPEG or pain of manual capture
on Oct 28, 2008 at 7:24:03 am

Dear COW readers,
I do not believe it is only my problem, event though I can not quite find an answer (I would like :-)

I have a consumer level AVCHD 1080i hard drive based Sony HDR-SR12, and a BM Intensity.
Well, my camera does not have a Firewire connection - therefore there is no device control for HDMI capture.

I think I've heard somewhere Holywood cuts 90% of the footage, but the point is after you try to MANUALLY capture 10 of 20 sec clips, overlapping the next, stopping, rewinding - you start to feel real pain!

I know AVCHD workflow problems is no news, but why do real time capture withoud device control? Why can't I convert my Sony MTS files to BM JPEG AVI's? (refer http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403297&sliceId=... VoltaicHD converts to (VLC reference) MP42 AVI's that require rendering in CS3 Premiere, and does not offer custom codec, BM support admits manual capture is PITA, but claim they can only log stand-alone transcoder as a user request, but do not have plans to release one anytime soon, Adobe support suggests upgrade to CS4 (with Vista 64 bit, 8G RAM oh boy!).

There is a program ffmeg, that VoltaicHD uses, and new VLC has an option of converting files, that has crashed on me several times with no output. VoltaicHD claims conversion times x12 original footage. Having come from vacation with a few hours of footage (sorry serious filmmakers out there ;-) and 100+ clips - help me God to capture all this lovely junk with the current BM workflow.

I can run file conversion, should it be available, overnight, or over two, 3 nights, but I can not do it manually - well I can but it is such a step back from device control and file based recordings!

It seems that solution is somewhere around - fancy command line conversion with ffmeg? I can not understand why BM is so unresponsive - it seems that they have almost all components in place, or they just do not care about consumers with AVCHD camcorders? I can not believe it.

Please advise

Thank you
Best regards,
Alexey Smirnov

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]