FORUMS: list search recent posts

setup to hear audio thru headphones

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Bauerfeind
setup to hear audio thru headphones
on Oct 28, 2008 at 1:19:43 am

Hey All

I have recently moved into a room with a couple of other guys and want to setup my PC so I can hear all audio thru my headphones. I've always used my monitors in the past.

I have:
Intel Core 2 Duo
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
BMD SD Card Drv 6.8
Onboard windows soundcard - SoundMax
Monitors - Sony SMS-1P

My headphones have a 3mm jack or canon.
They are plugged into the soundcard as there are no outputs on my monitors and I can't see how to get the sound from the decklink card with the adaptors provided.

I have searched around and tried changing my default audio device to the onboard sound thru control panel but seem to get the OS sounds thru headphones and everything else thru my monitors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Lance

Lance

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: setup to hear audio thru headphones
on Nov 3, 2008 at 3:42:38 pm

Hi Lance,

Due to the difference in impedance between line level and headphone level signals, it isn’t possible to monitor audio on headphones directly through your Decklink card. The signal is much, much quieter than that needed for headphones.

You may also find that the headphone output on your soundcard would not be the best option. Typically consumer soundcards do not have a low enough latency for monitoring purposes, and as such will most likely cause the audio to lose sync.

The best solution in this case would be to use the analog audio output from the Decklink card into a headphone amplifier to produce a signal for your headphones.

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Lance Bauerfeind
Re: setup to hear audio thru headphones
on Nov 3, 2008 at 10:01:17 pm

Thanks Chris

I have hooked it up to an old field mixer we had lying around but the sound is distorted. I don't know if it's the mixer or not. If I can't fix I will try your suggestion.

Any clues?

Lance

Lance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]