FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Extreme card, DVCPRO HD, HDV & FCP

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Dworeck
HD Extreme card, DVCPRO HD, HDV & FCP
on Oct 27, 2008 at 6:41:08 pm

I am editing a project in FCP for eventual film release. Most of our original footage is DVCPRO HD 1080p24 shot on the Panasonic AJ HDX900 camera. Some of our additional footage is shot on the Canon VIXIA HV30 camera set to HDV PF24. I have two questions about loading in footage for this project.

1. Can we use our Decklink Extreme HD card to capture the Panasonic DVC PRO HD 1080p24 footage into FCP via SDI? And how do we do that? We want to stay in the DVCPRO HD codec. We use a Panasonic 1400 deck to playback the tapes. I've been told to put the deck into it's 23/24 playback mode (as opposed to the standard 59/60 mode) and to use SDI to capture the footage at 23.98. What Blackmagic Capture/Input setting should I use in FCP to do this so we lose the pulldown frames the Panasonic HDX900 adds when it records the 1080p24 to the camera tape? The first batch of footage we loaded into FCP was done using the 1400 deck via Firewire and captured at 1080i60 and then converted using the Cinema Tools reverse telecine process. I'd like to skip that step and load into FCP directly at 1080p24 (or rather 23.98). Can the Blackmagic Extreme card do that?

2. Can I load the footage being shot with the Canon HD camera (HDV pf 24) into FCP via an HDMI cable through the Extreme card? What Blackmagic Capture/Input setting would be best to use if this material will be intercut with the DVCPRO HD 1080p24 footage?

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: HD Extreme card, DVCPRO HD, HDV & FCP
on Oct 28, 2008 at 12:59:16 am

Hi Stuart,

1. Yes, you can capture directly via SDI into DVCPRO HD format (or any of the formats we support). Simply use the "Blackmagic HDTV 1080PsF 23.98 - DVCPRO HD" easy setup and you will be good to go.

2. Yes, but it will come in via HDMI at 1080i59.94 so you'll have to find a way to remove the pulldown in order to get your 23.98 clip so that they will match. However, you can try mixing the 2 formats in the same Final Cut sequence and see how well Final Cut Pro handles it.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]