FORUMS: list search recent posts

BlackMagic and 2k image

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton Shu
BlackMagic and 2k image
on Oct 17, 2008 at 10:06:12 am

Hello,
Would any experienced BlackMagic user share his/her experience with me?
I'm considering to build a 2K/HD/SD post suite, for Apple Final Cut/Apple Color/Adobe After effects. These are my thoughts:
1. intel Mac Pro( two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/8b ram( is it enough ram?)/NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB/1TB Seagate Nearline internal HDD
2. Video Raid (SONNET FUSION D800RAID 8TB Raid5)
3. Black Magic Multibridge Pro or DeckLink HD Pro ( as I understood the both do the same, just one is outside as the rack mounting box and other is internal card), don't see a reason to pay twice for AJA.

the most difficult decision for me is What monitor do I need for 2k grading. Already own two Apple cinema 23 monitors.
1. go for HD link Pro (Dual link HD-SDi to DVI) and connect one of the apple cinema monitor ( As I now the 23'model are limited to HD resolution, How the 2K image will look on them? or do I need to spend for another 30' Apple cinema.)
2. Buy a HD Plasma and output via HDMI from BM multibridge.(how 2k image will look on them?)
I know those are not pro Monitoring option for critical color work, just the budget is pretty tight.

Thank You

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
Re: BlackMagic and 2k image
on Oct 17, 2008 at 5:25:55 pm

1. intel Mac Pro( two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/8b ram( is it enough ram?)/NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB/1TB Seagate Nearline internal HDD

Your specs are fine on the CPU and RAM.

2. Video Raid (SONNET FUSION D800RAID 8TB Raid5)

You should be able to do 1 stream of 2k, but you want be able to do multistream editing as it will just be borderline to do 1. Un-less you go to say a compressed workflow like Cineform to do multi stream editing.

3. Black Magic Multibridge Pro or DeckLink HD Pro ( as I understood the both do the same, just one is outside as the rack mounting box and other is internal card), don't see a reason to pay twice for AJA.

Either of these cards wil work as the new models have the 2k on them now via SDI. The rack box version of the Eclipse or Pro is handy as you can rackmount it will decks, raids etc,

the most difficult decision for me is What monitor do I need for 2k grading. Already own two Apple cinema 23 monitors.

1. go for HD link Pro (Dual link HD-SDi to DVI) and connect one of the apple cinema monitor ( As I now the 23'model are limited to HD resolution, How the 2K image will look on them? or do I need to spend for another 30' Apple cinema.)

To playback 2k at pixel for pixel mapping, you would need he 30" model of the Apple Display, or Dell amoung others. I have never monitored 2k yet or worked on it on my system. I would suggest to get the 30" screen with the HD LINK PRO. So you can come SDI out to the LCD unit. You should see amazing quality as at a trade show I saw HD coming out to a CRT Sony monitor, then to a Apple LCD Cinema display via a blackmagic and the quality looked almost the same.

2. Buy a HD Plasma and output via HDMI from BM multibridge.(how 2k image will look on them?)

I have never etsted this, you could give it a try but it is likely going to not display die to the size of the 2k frames so i think the 30" will only be able to display.

I know those are not pro Monitoring option for critical color work, just the budget is pretty tight.

The HD LINK PRo teamed with a 30" LCD display from Apple cinema series or the Dell 30" will give you excellent quality so oyu can monitor your 2k work flow.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Callum McLay
on Oct 17, 2008 at 10:43:13 pm

Hi Anton

I saw this post then remembered we have already discussed this somewhat via email, and Leo's advice is also very good.

Please just be aware that the Decklink HD Pro is not a 2K card, it is a dual link HD card but does not do 2k. The Multibridge Pro 2/ Eclipse and the Decklink HD Extreme 2 will both do 2K over 3 Gb/s SDI.

I hope we have already covered all your questions, but please get in touch for any further advice.

Callum McLay
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Anton Shu
on Oct 20, 2008 at 7:31:56 am

Great,
Thank you so much! Probably the HDlnkpro +30 inch ACD is the way to go.
Have a good day

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]