FORUMS: list search recent posts

2K reference monitor for after effects

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lena Meyer
2K reference monitor for after effects
on Oct 14, 2008 at 4:50:25 pm

Hi all,

we use the After effects CS3 Digital cinema workflow to create 2K title sequences for theatres. We plan to ad a 2K reference monitor into our workflow. With the Blackmagic Decklink HDExtreme2 and Blackmagic HDLink Pro.
The problem is that the video-out path from After Effects for preview on reference monitors is not color-managed. The LUTs provided by blackmagic are not what I need.

1. Where can I find the needed LUTs which fit to my after effects workflow?
2. Which monitor do You recommend?
3. Has anybody good experiences with the after effects 2K workflow and blackmagic?

I use After Effects CS3, Mac OSX 10.5.5, 2x2,8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 6GB RAM, Blackmagic HDExtreme2, Grafic card ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: 2K reference monitor for after effects
on Oct 14, 2008 at 8:29:45 pm

Something like cineSpace should help.

I do not remember if they supported AE derectly.

Check out here if you find eny word about AE.

In tehory you should be good with Dell 3008 or Apple 30"
if all works out with cineSpace.

This is something i'm trying to get hands on with color and shake.

Return to posts index

Lena Meyer
on Oct 15, 2008 at 4:29:11 pm

cine Space doesnt support AE directly. I am now searching to find a way to convert icc colour profiles into 3dl or itx files to load them as LUTs directly into the Blackmagic Card, so that I can view logarithmic files on the reference monitor in linearised preview. I need the Adobe Kodak 2383 Theater Preview.

For Monitors I got another recommendation for HP Dreamcolor:

and in one thread at creative cow

I looked at the apple and dell monitor, but I think for our use they are not the right solution. Well I think it depends on what You need. Until now I didnt found the right Monitor for us.
Perhaps I turn back on CineSpace in the End just to get a precise viewing.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Oct 21, 2008 at 5:37:41 pm

If you are outputting for theaters, I'd consider a projector...

cineSpace interacts with the display card in the case of AE...NLEs like PPro, etc have a problem using cineSpace, at least with NVIDIA QuadroFX because the video 'overlay' is treated as a separate (for lack of a better description) 'layer' from the UI...meaning the overlay sneaks through the LUT...but the video panel in AE is not an 'overlay' to the best of my knowledge.

I use a Dell 30"'s not optimal relative to a DreamColor, but then the DreamColor didn't exist back then...I also have an SDI-fed Sony Broadcast CRT for checking the fussy stuff...

But I don't do any work intended solely for projection...

Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

CPO, Digieffects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved