FORUMS: list search recent posts

blackmagic problems

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
max pacifico
blackmagic problems
on Oct 9, 2008 at 8:42:35 pm

Dear users

I need your help. I rented a HD deck for just 2 days and cant use it!!

I have a G5 Quad with OSX 10.4.11
I just got a BLACKMAGIC HD Extreme.
I rented a PANASONIC AJ HD1200A in order to capture with FCP6 tapes shot with VARICAM

My problem is that I never used before Blackmagic card and its not working.

I want to DOWNCONVERT the signal to SD and therefore I connected the cable to the SD SDI OUT behind the panasonic deck. At the other end I have connected the cable to HD/SD SDI INPUT.

My problems are the settings on system preferences and on FCP.

On system preferences I have set the input to SDI video and audio. and in processing I put it on OFF. correct? or should I select downcoverting here?

On fcp: should I select blackmagic DV PAL (being my import on sd) or should I go for one of the many HD setting behind blackmagic? and which one?

I tried everything before posting and still doesnt capture anything. I put play on my deck and when launching logandcapture all I can see is black..
Unfortunately I don have the cable to remore the deck, but shouldnt make difference.

can anyone help me out?
I have got not much time left...

thanks
max pacifico

Return to posts index

Callum McLay
Re: blackmagic problems
on Oct 9, 2008 at 10:08:25 pm

Hi Max

So if you are using Varicam, you are capturing 720p60 footage? You must make sure your capture settings have the right frequency to your footage.

You need to decide at which point you want your downconversion to occur. If the deck is downconverting, then your SD SDI input is feeding a SD signal into our card.

Therefore, in System Prefs you need to select SDI Video and SDI audio input. Your processing options should be off at this point. In Final Cut, you need to choose a Standard definition easy setup, relative to what standard your deck is outputting.

If you want to use the software down conversion with your Decklink card, you need to connect the HD SDI output of your deck to the card. In system prefs choose the processing tab, and select HD downconversion to either letterbox or anamorphic on input processing, depending on your preference. In FCP you need to then choose a standard def setup that matches your standard of footage.

Also please make sure you have the right connection to your card. The SDI input is the BNC closest to the motherboard of the Mac. If your deck has analogue outputs, I would also try using those as an alternate input.

As this is an urgent issue, I would highly recommend contacting your local support office and reference them to this thread!

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/contact/

Callum McLay
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

max pacifico
on Oct 10, 2008 at 8:32:41 am

Dear Cullem
thanks for your replay,
I have followed your advice and still doesnt work. I want to downconvert using the deck therefore i put off on processing.
I want to downconvert to SD PAL (DV) so what exact setting should I use?
I have tried BLACKMAGIC PAL - DV and BLACKMAGIC PAL - apple pro res.

still dont work.

what may the problem be? do you think the problem is in the card, the connectors or maybe the mac?

ONE MORE important issue:
can i position my card in any PCI-e SLOT?
or do i need a specific one?

sorry to anny you
thanks again

max

Return to posts index

Callum McLay
on Oct 10, 2008 at 12:52:51 pm

Hi Max

Great stuff!

In answer to your other question, ideally the card should be in the top slot, slot 4 of your Mac, as the HD Extreme requires a x4 lane PCIe slot. Therefore you should only locate it in a x4 lane slot of your Mac.

You will just need to grab an RS422 cable before you run out of time now!

Callum McLay
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

max pacifico
still got a problem..
on Oct 11, 2008 at 10:25:43 am

Dear Callum, dear users

my problems seem not to reach an end...
After getting the RS422 cable I began capturing and it worked fine all day. The following morning, turned the mac on and still not getting any signal!!
only get a black picture, even when using decklink software..
what the problem may be?
i imagine could be something with my card input, but have no clue.. tried many times since this morning but not working..
any suggestion?
greetings
massimiliano

Return to posts index

Callum McLay
Re: still got a problem..
on Oct 17, 2008 at 10:09:13 am

Hi Max

It would seem like one of your settings has changed mysteriously overnight!

Try going back over all your settings and ensure that they are all matching your input footage and workflow. I would also check to make sure the down conversion is not still enabled.

Callum McLay
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

max pacifico
problem ALMOST solved
on Oct 10, 2008 at 11:50:06 am

it works now! the following morning i did what callum suggested and it works. Only got a problem with timecode because dont have the serial cable. i am trying to get it and possibly I can beging capturing.. thanks max

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]