FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVR Z1U Component Capture

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon Appleby
HVR Z1U Component Capture
on Sep 25, 2008 at 7:31:22 pm

Can I use the Firewire deck control to capture to the Component input on a Decklink Extreme HD from the Component ouput of a Sony HVR Z1U or M10U deck?
I need to capture HD footage for those units but I do not want to edit in an HDV world.... too much hassle and well, Ya know!.

Please let me know if this is possible to control the decks with firewire but capture to the Component inputs...
Also, will this be a true 1080i input signal and editable codec capture? Or will this be an HDV format as well.. (Guess that would depend on the capture format I choose huh?)
Maybe scratch that last one unless I am way wrong...
Thanks for the help you mighty geniussus of the digital world.

Shannon Appleby
My Boyz Productions
J&P Cycles Inc.
Anamosa, Iowa
AVID Xpress Pro, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, PC, NO MAC, Brightcove

Return to posts index

Dan Sparks
Re: HVR Z1U Component Capture
on Sep 26, 2008 at 3:02:35 am

Yes, you can capture component video and control deck via firewire.

Dan Sparks

Tricom Video

http://www.tricomvideo.com

Return to posts index

Shannon Appleby
on Sep 26, 2008 at 1:39:32 pm

What is the difference in quality from capturing component or HD-SDI?
If any...
What HD format can I utilize then? Can I select DVCPRO HD as the edit format then?

Shannon Appleby
My Boyz Productions
J&P Cycles Inc.
Anamosa, Iowa
AVID Xpress Pro, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, PC, NO MAC, Brightcove

Return to posts index

Dan Sparks
on Sep 26, 2008 at 11:14:50 pm

What codec you use depends a lot upon your system and RAID setup. DVCPro HD would be fine, but it also depends on what you need to deliver to the client. How are you distributing the finished show? The ProRes codecs are very clean, too. The camera doesn't have SDI out, so component is your option, unless you get a converter like one from Convergent Designs.

Dan Sparks

Tricom Video

http://www.tricomvideo.com

Return to posts index

Elroi Yee
on Oct 22, 2008 at 3:55:36 am

Thanks Dan + Shannon, your thread answered my exact questions.

If you guys don't mind answering a few questions from me regarding this - Capturing through Shannon's method (via component out on my Panasonic HVX 202E, with playback control through firewire), will be capturing uncompressed, and this would produce much better quality footage than capturing through firewire. Am I correct?

If my footage is recorded on miniDV tapes (PAL), and the final master will be in SD PAL DVD format, I should be capturing in DV-PAL (instead of DVCPRO HD or other formats) to avoid generational loss. Am I correct?

Or is the original quality of miniDV footage so low as to make all this effort redundant, since the final outcome will still be low quality anyway?

Your answers will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Elroi
Panasonic HVX 202E P2 Camcorder
MacPro Quad Core Core 2 Duo, 10GB RAM, with Final Cut Studio, Adobe Production Suite and Black Magic HD Extreme.

Return to posts index

Elroi Yee
on Oct 29, 2008 at 3:36:28 am

Can anyone help me on these questions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]