FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD?HD monitoring from edit bay

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AnnMarie Epple
SD?HD monitoring from edit bay
on Sep 25, 2008 at 1:47:17 am

Hi, we are using a Grass Valley Edius NX system for post work and currently monitor on a HD LCD TV. A majority of our work is still SD with increasing mixing of SD/HD formats or an occasional Full HD job so we need to be able to monitor both types of projects from one system. Our main concern is that the SD stuff presented on the HD LCD screen looks like crap and we think it mostly due to the poor quality conversion from the TV. The content is sent to the monitor using component out from the Edius NX breakout panel.

We have seen several other small post suites where the SD content is up-converted before getting to the monitor using a processor like something from aja and thought a combination of your mini-convertors might do this job (better).

Can we combine (connect) the analog to sdi mini-converter with the sdi to hdmi mini-converter (and then to the HD panel) to improve our presentation of the SD content? Also, the editing system can switch signals for a particular project on the fly - would that be a problem with the mini-converters? Finally, we are planning on replacing the existing HD TV with a newer one - is there any tech details we need to know beforehand about connecting the converters to a LCD HD TV (anything about the tv that should be considered), assuming the mini convertors mentioned will help?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: SD?HD monitoring from edit bay
on Sep 30, 2008 at 2:06:23 am

most LCD monitors cannot properly display standard def NTSC or PAL signals properly. You can think up all kinds of combinations, and nothing is going to help Sony LMD series LCD monitors (for example)- no matter what you do.

The JVC DT-24 series LCD monitors are particularly good about displaying Std. Def. video, in addtion to Hi Def video. I realize that these are very expensive (about $3500), but I am unaware of any cheapo solutions to make your LCD HD monitor (you did not specify the brand) look good in SD.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Oct 6, 2008 at 7:09:05 am

What aboud DL HD Link and HD Link Pro upscale?

They should do the 2x upscale but i have not seen one as i do not have eny units here.

I assume it should be ok.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 6, 2008 at 7:32:07 pm

Margus -
have you seen the HDLink or HDLink Pro with STANDARD DEF video ?
Have you seen an AJA HDP with STANDARD DEF video ?
Have you seen most of the HD LCD monitors with STANDARD DEF VIDEO ?

If you have, then you will know that most LCD monitors are completely unacceptable to professional editors to display STANDARD DEF video. This is one of the major reasons JVC and Panasonic have stepped all over Sony Broadcast (with the LMD series) - because even Sony can't properly display a high quality standard def image on their HD monitors.

Certainly no Apple, Dell or Samsung 24" DVI monitor is going to give you a true STANDARD DEF image. (For HD - absolutely - and the Blackmagic HDLink is teriffic, and a great purchase) - but not for STANDARD DEF VIDEO.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:36:23 pm

Hi.

Actually i have not see eny of them :)

I just have read that they supposed to have 2x upscale

I assumed that they do it nice. My best upscale experience is with
Combustion resize function so i assumed somebody has done it in hardware also.

I have seen SD on 2407 in normal mode with my multibridge pro
and i'd say in pixel for pixel mode it is far better than eny
regular LCD tv which scales and blurs and does what eve with your image. But relatively small picture. One reason why i do not have LCD tv at home SD is bad on it si i get your point.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]