FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes conflicts

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Huggins
ProRes conflicts
on Sep 2, 2008 at 8:11:22 pm

Cow - tippers,

We transfer film to FCP in ProRes HD format using a Kona card. Recently we found a client with a Black Magic Card complaining that the film transfer looked 'blotchy - like a fresco painting'. But the same footage in DVCPro HD codec looked fine. ProRes is a technically better codec apparantly, so why does it look worse? Is there any updates or compatibilty between AJA and BM that might explain this?

I'll post the same on Kona site.
Thanks for any ideas.

Thanks, Film Joe

Return to posts index

Richard Fomo
Re: ProRes conflicts
on Sep 3, 2008 at 5:24:10 pm

Sorry, I don't have any information for the original poster; but I'm chiming in because I also would like to know about any potential conflicts in Prores encoding between Blackmagic and AJA. Here's my situation: I am going to begin working with a first-time documentary director who is setting up his own editing suite based on Final Cut Pro. The director and producer seem to be favoring a purchase of a Decklink card. I will be the editor and I have my own Final Cut Pro system that uses AJA's ioHD. For the upcoming project, I want to be able to go back and forth between their system and mine. We agree that their HDV footage should be captured as Prores probably on their system with the Decklink card. So, are there any compatibility issues I should know about when transferring Decklink-created Prores media to my ioHD-enabled Macbook Pro?

Nobody wants to have the problem that the original poster is experiencing. Some honest disclosures would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Richard Fomo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]