FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question on 3D animation cost

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Clark
Question on 3D animation cost
on Jul 11, 2017 at 12:12:03 pm

I created the 2D games for mobile phones and know I have an idea which need a 3D dimension and my lack side is that I don't know how much financing I need for the game. In Russia this industry is undeveloped and there is no much people who can proreply satisfy animation needs.
What's i'm going to, is to create a promo-video for my investor to describe the fight system in my game (it will be a complex genre game, but the core is fighting). So I need very smooth animation, probably mocap, to have something to show. Who knows, how much it costs to have different combos to show for 30 seconds? I have a 3000$ budget and my models for the animated promotional video with the smooth animation, is that enough or the cost is too low?

Any help will be appreciated.
thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Question on 3D animation cost
on Jul 12, 2017 at 9:42:23 pm

Sounds low. What you'll want to do is script out and storyboard the scenes in exquisite detail, including their overall timing, and any key audio dialogue. Then take that to an animator and show them your budget and see what they can out together for the money you have. But I think 3 grand is probably unrealistic for more than one fight sequence.

Do you *need* real, and "original" mocap? Or can you work from pre-captured sequences, purchased and applied to your model. Turbosquid used to be a good place to shop for such things, I don't know if they still are.

I think you might need to double what you have to get to the level of quality and detail you need. It sounds like a lot.

But, what I tell people trying to make a decision on such a figure is, I ask them what the end goal is: how big a sales profit they expect to make on the project. Then I ask them what percentage of that payday are they are willing to INVEST in the sales materials that lead to getting to that Payday? One percent? Three? Or zero, and you're just gonna count on your winning smile and talent for blarney?

Raise more money. While you're doing it, shop around for a an animator who's willing to work cheaper because they need a portfolio piece.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved