FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Youtube videos from a lecture in recording against Copyright laws?

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kyle Sidlik
Using Youtube videos from a lecture in recording against Copyright laws?
on Nov 15, 2016 at 12:54:01 am

Hello! Thanks for reading!

I know the title does not make much sense, it'll be easier for me just to explain my situation.

Here we go. A company hired me to edit some lectures that they recorded. In some of the lectures presentations they played some clips from youtube. Since the company wants to post these lectures on their youtube channel, is it against copyright laws if I add the youtube videos in the final video?

I was thinking I would download the video off of youtube and add a water mark of the owners name and the link to that particular youtube video. Would that be breaking any laws?

Any other advice?

Thank you for taking the time!

-Kyle

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
Re: Using Youtube videos from a lecture in recording against Copyright laws?
on Nov 15, 2016 at 5:23:19 am

Asking for legal advice in internet form posts? Your answers will be worth every cent you paid for them!

There's only one answer here: It depends.

Depends on what?

Where are you? What are the YouTube posts you're referring to? Who owns that intellectual property? Has your client company run this through legal?

(Don't think you can't be partially liable, either.)

Those and more. Personally, I'd advise against it, and more to the point, I would not do it. Do you want to be known as someone who appropriates the IP of others?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Using Youtube videos from a lecture in recording against Copyright laws?
on Nov 15, 2016 at 4:42:41 pm

One way I've seen this handled is to dip to black at the point they show the clip, then come back. Some people put an on-screen link over the black pause, some just list it as text. other people just refer to it in their speech and leave it for the audience to go find it. In the legalities sense, it's all a flipping minefield. And you're making it even more iffy by re-posting material the original posters may not have rights to.

I'd refer this job to your worst enemy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]