FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera for corporate use

COW Forums : Corporate Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Balch
Camera for corporate use
on Oct 28, 2016 at 3:53:15 pm

I've had a request to purchase a camera and tripod that anyone at my company can pick up and use with no prior experience. The camera would be used to set up in back of a room and shoot presentations. I'm looking for suggestions. As an added bonus, I'd also like to find a wireless lav mic and receiver to go with it that's just as easy to use.

Thanks!

Alan Balch
• • • • • • •
Videographer/Carle Foundation Hosptial
alan.balch@carle.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Camera for corporate use
on Oct 28, 2016 at 4:09:31 pm

For something that needs to be dirt-simple, I like the Cannon Vixia line of digital camcorders. You can get them with extended batteries and large-capacity memory cards and cover a 2-hour meeting without a break. They have a lot of automation in them which makes it harder to goof up. You'll want to make sure you get one with an audio input jack, so the wireless lav can get in.

With wireless lavs, you kinda get what you pay for. Better performance (noise rejection, clarity of signal) and longer duration without stopping to change batteries in mid-speech costs more. Most wireless I've dealt with peters out of power at about an hour. I would not be surprised if the lav mic system costs more than the camera. Brands to look at include ElectroVoice, Sony, Samson. There's good catalogs at B&H photo-video as well as Sweetwater sound, Markertek, and Fullcompass,

Think hard about the need for the mic to be wireless at all. If a lecturer is working from a lectern with notes, you may as well use an omni-directional stick mic mounted there, and reduce complexity and expense while increasing reliability. I never run wireless unless hardwire is for some reason impractical.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 28, 2016 at 10:00:11 pm

If they will be talking next to a projection of powerpoint slides, you'll want to add a dedicated soft spot light to the speaking area which comes on when the projector does. Automated or civilian-operated cameras running auto-iris will make a hash of the relative brightness levels between the podium and the bright screen otherwise. A smart bet would be two cameras: one focused on the speaker alone, and one on the screen... or, you can add a recorder to the output of the projector to screen-capture clear screen graphics, then edit that together with the stand-up presenter. or, just edit in the slides from powerpoint later. But if the presenter does anything live with the screen, like navigate an app or work with spreadsheets - then there will be no static slides of that to count on in the edit, so that requires either screen capture or a camera trained on the screen with proper exposure set for the screen content.

Return to posts index

Josh Phillippi
on Oct 28, 2016 at 4:50:32 pm

Personally I like JVC. We have a lot of clients that we work with that shoot corporate video and we almost always recommend the GY-HM170U. It is lightweight and very easy to use, and the price is right. We also carry a full line of tri-pods and mics as well. It really depends on what type of quality you are looking for and if you intend to use this package in any other ways for the company. Please feel free to give me a call and we can talk further and help you narrow down your selection, we are happy to help in any way that we can. We are also able to provide discounts that you may not get online.

Josh Phillippi
CEO/Founder
Piston Media Group
jp@pistonmediagroup.com
http://www.pistonmediagroup.com
Cell: (818) 318-8211
Office: (888) 829-7320

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]