FORUMS: list search recent posts

How much to charge

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugo Rodriguez
How much to charge
on Apr 6, 2017 at 3:07:20 pm

Hello, Creative Cows...

I have the following situation: I have been asked for an estimate to shot several videos for a new restaurant. 5 of those videos are in the style of those fast paced social media videos that you see on Tasty or Delish and one video of highlights of the restaurant here in New York. I have to be in charge of the entire process from pre-production to post, that goes from editing to color grading and so on...

So the question is: How much should I charge for the complete package?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: How much to charge
on Apr 15, 2017 at 3:57:48 pm

Nobody is going to tell you what to charge. (Nobody should either)

This is a business that you run.

What are your costs? What is your day rate? What is your experience?
How much time are you budgeting to do each stage?

Did the client not ask for a quote at the start of this process? Typically you would offer up a quote, and get the job based on that quote. Something seems odd when you get the job, and haven't been asked what it will cost.

As well, if you are new enough to the industry that you don't have a true rate card, you have to be honest with yourself that you are indeed able to pull this off. If you are in over your head, subcontract out the work. Those subcontractors will have no problem telling you what their costs are. From there you can figure out your cost.

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
on May 12, 2017 at 1:36:08 am

Start thinking about a day rate:

How many full days of work will this project take?

How much do you need per day for your lifestyle?

Make sure the scope of work is clear for the entire project.

Since you are just starting - go for it! Make up a number and do the project
and then evaluate afterwards.

FCP X 10.2.3 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod

Return to posts index

Jimm Bowden
on Jul 7, 2017 at 10:10:27 am

Well. If you start calculating how much you work, what resources you use, manpower, man-hour. You just can't propose a good price. I will say just to call up some agency and freelancers as a client( take help from a friend) and pitch them exact work you did and ask for a quotation, how much it can vary and all. In the end, you will have a picture of the price statement to put up with your client which would be standard in the industry. You would not be much deprived of your fees and even your client will not feel cheated for extra charging. After having enough experience you can easily give a quote.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved