Camera suggestions for shooting bands, etc

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Escamilla
Camera suggestions for shooting bands, etc
on Dec 13, 2016 at 7:58:17 pm

Hi,
sorry for the noob question.

I have been shooting bands (and some theater and dance) performances in the past few years using my two Lumix Gh2 cameras. I love the results I get with, for example, my Nokton 10.5mm f/0.95 lens. I also get good results with my other low-light lenses with longer focal lengths.

BUT, these are all fixed-focal length lenses, so I'm wondering if I should buy a couple of video cameras to do this sort of work. I really want to be able to zoom in and out while shooting. But I guess my main concern is the low-light that I'm usually dealing with.

Any suggestions of "affordable" video cameras that I might look into for doing two or three camera shoots of bands in low-light situations?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Camera suggestions for shooting bands, etc
on Dec 13, 2016 at 8:54:57 pm

Hi Paul,

Depends on what you consider "affordable". I've been working with the Sony PXW-X70 and really like it. There is a consumer version Sony FDR-AX100, without XLR handle and such, but same sensor/image quality for about $500 less also.

These have really nice image stabilization and great image from the 1" sensor.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Paul Escamilla
on Dec 13, 2016 at 9:19:25 pm

Thank you, Jeff! I was actually just looking at that first camera on the B&H website, attracted by the 1" sensor.

Have you been using it in low-light situations?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 13, 2016 at 9:28:53 pm

Depends on what you consider low-light. It's actually my associate's camera, helped him pick it out and have been able to borrow it for several jobs.

It won't have the sensitivity of a DSLR with a fast lens, but as camcorders go I think it does well indoors (compared to other "prosumer level" HD cameras I've worked with). Notable is that the GAIN can go pretty high without adding much grain, 18 to 21dB area can still look decent. Certainly much better than current trend of 1/4.7-inch sensors, which are so tiny!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Paul Escamilla
on Dec 13, 2016 at 9:26:12 pm

Anyone used the Panasonic HC-X1000 4K?

I'm wondering if it would make sense to move up to 4k, since it is basically 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-X1000-Professional-Camcorder-Optical/dp...

Return to posts index

Paul Escamilla
on Dec 13, 2016 at 9:30:55 pm

sorry, this is the one with the 1" sensor:
Panasonic HC-X1 4K
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1277528-REG/panasonic_hc_x1_4k_ultra...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]