FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Licensing

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phil payne
Music Licensing
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:30:28 am


I am thinking about setting up my own wedding videography business part time (I work full time as an Editor and have been an occasional wedding videographer for the past 5 years - working for someone else).

I have been looking into what is required to license the music on the DVDs produced for weddings and I understand that I will need to purchase a MCPS and PPL License. I was just wandering what I would then have to do to be able to put this video (or a part of this video, with the licensed music) on my website? Would it make more sense to purchase some unheard of copyright free music and re-edit it to that? I have seen other videographers sites and they have examples of their work with music, which I assume, they have licensed.

I just want to make sure I'm doing this all properly and I am fully aware of what is involved.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
Re: Music Licensing
on Jul 25, 2011 at 6:04:51 am

Phil you don't mention where you are going to be conducting business, be it the US or elsewhere.

Here in the US to get a license to use for broadcast, it is the same for your website as it is for national syndicated TV.

As far as what others are doing, don't assume ANYONE is legal and then copy what they are doing. Check out the rules and regulations for your particular use and need, yourself. Then you will know for sure exactly what is involved to proceed forward.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved