FORUMS: list search recent posts

PPL licences for wedding and event videos

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Trunkfield
PPL licences for wedding and event videos
on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:16:46 am

Hi all,
This is a follow up query to the recent thread Illegal Music on Event Videos. The subject of using copyrighted music in wedding and event videos has been brought up so many times so i apologise for going over old ground but i'm looking for anyones experiences of using a PPL - PFVD licence (Private Function Video Dubbing Licence). Having looked through the COW archives i don't think this has been discussed.

Taken from the IOV (Institute of videography) website:

The IOV grants licenses in the UK on behalf of PPL for the dubbing of sound recordings onto video tapes and DVDs of weddings, christenings, bar mitzvahs and other family, domestic and private functions, subject to terms and conditions and provided the appropriate licence fees are paid. These are in the form of holographic stickers which are attached to the videotape or DVD case.

The licence does not limit the number of sound recordings to be dubbed and it covers both music edited post production (i.e. the bride and groom’s favourite song) or picked up incidentally (e.g. from a disco). No distinction is made between whether a videotape/DVD is a master or a copy.

Each licence costs £3.40 plus VAT. They are sold in multiples of 5 licenses.

I would be interested in if anyone has gone down this route and purchased the licences to be able to use copyrighted material in videos. Also, i believe from the previous thread that there is now something in the US that is similar.

Thanks in advance and have a good day.

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
Re: PPL licences for wedding and event videos
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:29:17 am

Look up Zoom for here in the US.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved