ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to do PIP and split screens in Premiere 6.5

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cg001
How to do PIP and split screens in Premiere 6.5
on Sep 19, 2002 at 7:33:28 pm

Hello All, I am coming from MediaStudio Pro and know how to do PIP and Split screens in it but since Premiere 6.5 has better codec I decided to use it. How can I get these two effects? I would appreciate if someone walk me through. Thanks

Return to posts index

Mike Gunter
Re: How to do PIP and split screens in Premiere 6.5
on Sep 19, 2002 at 7:56:33 pm

Hi,

Checkout my website. There are instructions there.

Mike Gunter
VideoTidbits.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Michael Block
on Sep 19, 2002 at 7:57:30 pm

Traditional Split Screen:

I will try to get you to a split screen in Premiere.
1. First, put your two clips that you want to do a split screen for in video tracks A and B- this technique won't work if they reside on overlay tracks, but if they must, there are other ways to do this.
2. You must have filmed the original clips with the action on the LEFT or RIGHT as if there were a split screen already in place while you were filming.
3. Apply a "WIPE" transition from the transition menu between the two clips. The clips should be lined up sothat they are the same length in Premiere and right on top of each other, the wipe transition should also be stretched to the same length as the clips.
4. Now, double click on the wipe transition to open the transition dialog box- set your beginning AND ending values at 50%-
you should now have a wipe transition that is frozen halfway accross the screen providing you with a split screen.

EXTRA BONUS:
if the one or more clips are in an overlay track, open the Transparency settings in the clip properties dialog box. In the small preview window you will notice that there are four small square "handles" on the corners.
click and drag these handles to cut the frame in half-this is a mask and will allow anything on the outside of the mask to show through.

PIP and other split screens:

Hello,

Right click on your clip. Select video options "motion".
This will bring up a keyframable motion and scaling control for your clip.
the clip will probably be gliding accross the screen from left to right at this point.
Press the "Pause" button in the middle of the two windows at the top of this dialog box.
On the keyframe timeline, click the beginning or first frame position.
Click on "center" (on the right side of screen) to center the clip.
move to the last frame and center the clip again.
NOW:
go back to the first frame on the line and use the zoom control to scale the clip. positive numbers ENLARGE the clip. Negative numbers SCALE it down. so let's try 40%....enter "-60" into the zoom box. now the clip is scaled down to 40% of it's original size (100%-60%=40%)
Skip to the last frame again and enter the same "-60" in the zoom box.

You have now scaled your clip to playback in only 40% of the screen-
BUT now the clip is still centered ! we want it moved to the left of the screen-
SO-
go back to the first frame and begin to enter values in the positioning boxes, you will begin to notice that the X and Y position values determine where the clip appears on the screen. Find a position that is right for you by experimenting with these settings. IMPORTANT:
remember to enter the SAME position settings in the first and last frame of your clip on the motion keyframe line or your clip will move to it's original position gradually as your movie plays.

Hope those methods help.

Peace,
Bryan

Return to posts index

cg001
on Sep 19, 2002 at 8:53:14 pm

Thanks to both of you. It helped me a lot. Also video tutorials were great. I wish you offer more tips and tricks in that format.

Return to posts index

Bryan Michael Block
on Sep 20, 2002 at 4:41:51 am

Glad they could help on my side-
sometimes the "experts" forget that some people are starting from zero- email me anytime, I'll try to help.

Peace,
Bryan

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Sep 20, 2002 at 2:44:59 pm

Mike Gunter's tutorials are great. There is another guy who has done some nice work too. Check out:

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/index.htm

Steven
Adobe Premiere 6 / After Effects 5.5 / DVStorm / Hobbyist
http://www.stevengotz.com/premiere.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]