ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can a 3D layer ignore a camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
riccardo sinti
Can a 3D layer ignore a camera?
on Jan 5, 2005 at 7:27:52 pm

I know the trick of using an empty adjustment layer in between to 3D layers to defeat their interaction, but is there a way to prevent a camera from seeing a 3D layer, or rather for a 3D layer to ignore a camera?
Must I pre-compose?

Return to posts index

Dan Ebberts
Re: Can a 3D layer ignore a camera?
on Jan 5, 2005 at 8:42:59 pm

What do you want the layer to do? Will setting "Casts Shadows" to "only" do what you want?

Dan

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 5, 2005 at 11:21:35 pm

What do you want to achieve? Do you want one layer to be seen from a different perspective from the others? If so, you'll have to precomp the layer, and use a different camera inside the precomp. The precomp will then have to be a 2D layer within the main comp.

... if I understand you correctly.

Steve

Return to posts index

riccardo sinti
on Jan 6, 2005 at 3:51:50 pm

I have a bunch of layers viewed by a camera. I like what I have but I need to do another move with another 3D layer. I wan't this layer to be viewed independently of the camera as if it were a 2D layer.
Iv'e already worked around this but am curious if this is possible.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 6, 2005 at 8:31:37 pm

[riccardo sinti] "I have a bunch of layers viewed by a camera. I like what I have but I need to do another move with another 3D layer. I wan't this layer to be viewed independently of the camera as if it were a 2D layer. "

This is still a bit unclear. Do you want a particular layer to serve as a background that fills the screen throughout the move, but has some movement for some sort of "parallax" effect...?

Could you simply shut off 3d for the layer and achieve what you want? Do you wish it to still be affected by lighting?

Need more info.

TimK
Kolb Syverson Communications
Creative Cow Host
2004, 2005 NAB Post Production Conference Premiere Pro Technical Chair
Author, "The Easy Guide to Premiere Pro" http://www.focalpress.com
"Premiere Pro Fast Track DVD Series" http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

thehardmenpath
on Jan 6, 2005 at 8:56:21 pm

I think the perfect solution for that would be to parent the layer to the camera. That way, that layer(s) will move independently and you'll be free to change all values and still not move from the camera point of view.

Return to posts index

riccardo sinti
on Jan 10, 2005 at 3:50:52 pm

You guys are missing the question. I think the answer is "no" anyway.
I just want to be able to put a 3D layer on top of another set of 3D layers and a camera and be able to move the top layer in 3D space without it interacting (being seen by) with the camera, while the other layers appear as seen by the camera as if, the top 3D layer were actually in another composition. What I wanted to know if there was a procedure that would act like an "ignore camera" switch on a 3D layer.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 10, 2005 at 4:30:44 pm

The answer is "no".

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]