ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

NTSC to PAL

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John B
NTSC to PAL
on Dec 14, 2004 at 8:15:45 am

I just can't seem to get nice results. Does anyone have a tried and tested technique for NTSC to PAL conversion in After Effects?

I'm just trying to make a PAL preview DVD of my show to send to europe. I'll do a proper standards conversion later if I find a broadcaster.

Right now, I'm just putting the Program (Blackmagic PJPEG) into a PAL res 25fps comp and enlarging the clip to 120%.

The fields are tearing something awful. All I can do is choose a field dominance in "interpret" and that looks bad.

OS 10.3.4
1.8ghz G5 single
Decklink Extreme
DSR-45 DVCAM deck
FCP 4.5
Atto Express UL4S
Huge Mediavault 320S
AE 5.5
Too many firewire drives to count

Return to posts index

stu denbigh
Re: NTSC to PAL
on Dec 14, 2004 at 10:09:54 am

Try this - it always seems to give me acceptable results:

Bring your NTSC footage in and conform the frame rate to 30fps. Whack it in a comp and double the rate of the comp to 60fps.
Turn frame blending on.

Then drag this comp onto the comp icon and ensure this new comp is set to 30fps. Set the 'Stretch' value of the layer to 200%.

Finally drag this into a PAL comp at 25fps and with the same aspect ratio (ie 4:3/16:9) as your NTSC comps. Open the Stretch Panel and set it to 50%. The duration of this comp should be exactly the same as your initial comp. Use Fit-To-Frame (and check that your horizontal and vertical scale values are the same to make sure you haven't stretched the picture in any one direction). And add a vertical gaussian blur of 1px.

Render out to 25fps at whatever field dominance (usually UFF) your Capture card likes.

Like I say, it has given me great results in the past - effectively you are deinterlacing your films's fields to frames and recombining them for PAL UFF (unless working in DV, in which case, LFF). Give it a whirl, sometimes you get the odd piece of footage that doesn't like this technique, but for other 90% of the time...

s
t
u

Return to posts index

John B
on Dec 14, 2004 at 11:13:04 pm

This sounds great, I've got a comp set to go overnight.

OS 10.3.4
1.8ghz G5 single
Decklink Extreme
DSR-45 DVCAM deck
FCP 4.5
Atto Express UL4S
Huge Mediavault 320S
AE 5.5
Too many firewire drives to count

Return to posts index

STEVE LYLES
on Dec 16, 2004 at 5:38:20 pm

I went through the same headache earlier this year with a piece that was shown at a convention in the UK -I havent tried the technique used by Stu but I was advised to just burn an MPEG2 DVD as the european players can play back most of the available formats-this actually worked beautifully-this could save you a lot of headaches!
regards
Steve

Return to posts index

stu denbigh
on Dec 20, 2004 at 9:50:40 am

This is true - the players can, but the TVs often can't!!

s
t
u

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]