ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lighting for greenscreen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sterling
Lighting for greenscreen
on May 28, 2003 at 6:45:03 pm

This forum is great. My question is: I am just beginning to do some greenscreen work and I am working with MiniDV. I just ordered a Rosco green fabric background and I was wondering what is the best and least expensive way to light it. I am on a limited budget. Thanks for your help.
Sterling

Return to posts index

Steven Bump
Re: Lighting for greenscreen
on May 28, 2003 at 7:10:35 pm

As long as none of your foreground actors is wearing a bright white (bounce back) and stands far enough away from the screen, the rest of it is common sense stuff (mute your lights to try and keep the green color even therefore being easier to key, etc.)

-sbump@websterdg.com

Return to posts index

Sterling
on May 28, 2003 at 7:22:29 pm

So regular work lights would do the job?

Return to posts index

zanian
on May 28, 2003 at 7:22:33 pm

1. light your actor and screen separately
2. beware of spill (green hitting actor) use flags or aim the light differently
3. back the screen up as far as possible, if possible put it out if focus
4. if your actor has fine hair, gel it, or better yet put a hat on him!
5. do not underexpose the greenscreen, that will introduce more noise
6. have an idea what you want to put behind the actor, light accordingly (meaning if it is supposed to be dark don't overlight your actor or screen)
7. sometimes a keylight can be your friend to separate the actor from the screen. This is an aesthetic choice though.

Basically common sense stuff but it is amazing how many crappy screens I get.

As for keying DV that is a whole other issue. There are some formulas in this forum that have worked great for me. Do a search.

Return to posts index

Todd
by
on May 28, 2003 at 8:00:20 pm

I completely agree with Zanian and Steven. I just have one more little thing to add. Years ago when I worked in television news production, our weather wall was the typical green screen wall. One of the problems we had was the green would spill onto the actor in some cases and give you a bad or rough edge key. The solution that I think they ended up using was using a back light with a pink gel ( i guess to offset the green ) aiming down on the actors back from up above. It seemed to help a lot. Just a little info for you.

Good luck,

Todd

Return to posts index

Sterling
on May 28, 2003 at 8:45:49 pm

Thanks to all of you you have helped alot. Sterling

Return to posts index

Alex Massaad
on May 28, 2003 at 11:19:12 pm

I have done this many a time. I just use regular green paint from Home Depot in my basement. I also use the ultimatte plugins for ae. I think that they are by far the best that I have used. I highly sugest you film clean plates before the filming in order to be able to separate your actors from the screen. It works the best for me. Then add some matte choker and voila.
I have had the unfortunate instance of a bad key- I had to roto the whole thing out by hand. Very annoying.

Alex Massaad
ATAM Productions
416 Chester Ave
Newmarket Ontario
Canada

Return to posts index

Barend Onneweer
on May 29, 2003 at 1:20:34 pm

I actually put together an article about shooting blue and greenscreens. It's in the tutorials section, or click on my icon here in the forum, and scroll down the bio page to find it.

Good luck.

Bar3nd

Forum COWmunity leader for:
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
MAGIC BULLET SUITE
INDIE FILM & DOCUMENTARY

Return to posts index

Chinner
on May 29, 2003 at 6:17:05 pm

We just had a presentation concerning green screen shooting at our last meeting. The main things - light evenly, so there are no hotspots, light the screen first, and the talent needs to be at least 8 to 10 feet away from the screen, and the camera should be about an equal distance away from the talent.

Check out Ken Stones FCP site - there are a couple articles there about Chromakeying in FCP. Yes, I know this is an AE forum, but the first part of the article deals with the shooting aspect of it, and has some more tips to get good shots.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/chroma_key_part_1.html

by Charles Roberts

Rob Chinn
Indy FCPUG Leader
rob@indy-fcpug.org
http://www.indy-fcpug.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]