Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
INDIE FILM AND DOCUMENTARY:Indie Film and Documentary ForumIndie Film and Documentary Tutorials

Frame size and lenth

COW Forums : Indie Film & Documentary

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sala SultanFrame size and lenth
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:31:56 am

Hello!
I'm wroking on a documentary and the footage I got is from different cameras with different frame sizes and different frame rates, so I went with 720p as, then lately I heard that would cause problems cause some tv stations only accept 1080p? Is that true? if so what can be done in this case?
The second question is what's the ideal lenth for a short documentary? 20min or 25min?
Thanks in advance :)

Sala

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David JonesRe: Frame size and lenth
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:53:13 am

I would set up my timeline to edit at 1080p ProRes 442. You can always output to whatever the TV station or channel requires.

Another way is to set up your time line to match whatever the highest quality material you are using. If it's 720p, then set your timeline to that setting.

You can output to whatever the TV station or channel requires. This will ether be 1080i or 720p, regardless of what format you're editing in.

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sala SultanRe: Frame size and lenth
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:11:03 am

Thanks Dave!
Yes I'm aware of that, but the problem is most of the footage I have is in 720p, and if I set my project to 1080p that would stresh the footage or scale em up and that would damage or softane the footage,
Do you have an idea how can I fix it? If I reformat the whole project to 1080p would that have a noticeable impact on the quality?

Sala

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Frame size and lenth
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:15:03 pm

The last I heard, it wasn't a settled thing but most stations in the markets I am familiar with are 720.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2011 at 12:45:38 pm

Yes I agree, I thought all stations accepts 720p, but from now on just to be safe I might edit on 1080p

Sala

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2011 at 2:56:53 am

I would just edit at 720p if that's what most of your footage is. TV stations and cable channels will want it delivered in ether 720p or 1080i.

Dave J

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2011 at 12:44:21 pm

Thanks Dave, but don't u think that would degrees the footage quality?

Sala

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:16:07 am

If you edit at 720p? That's what you footage is. But if you're planning on using anything else at at 1080p, then you may want to set it up at 1080p.

Dave J

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:16:55 am

If you edit at 720p? That's what you footage is. But if you're planning on using anything else at at 1080p, then you may want to set it up at 1080p.

Dave J

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:24:01 am

Just to be clear, tv is broadcast in ether 720p or 1080i. There is no 1080p broadcasts. I would double check with the place who wants your project and make sure what they want. They still may want it edited in 1080p but I would check.

Dave J

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:57:47 am

Thanks again Dave, actually I'm a freelancer, I make documentaries and sell them do I don't have a speaifec clients, until now all of my clients either go with SD or HD 720p, just someone told me that there's some prodcasters require or air on 1080p which made me worry

Sala

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]