Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

New ioXT. No Joy.

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jason JenkinsNew ioXT. No Joy.
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 12:05:06 am

I've spent the last 4 or 5 hours trying to get my new ioXT to work. It was working somewhat initially, but playback was stuttery on the SDI output. I talked to AJA support, then tried the following:
Removed Resolve Lite and all accompanying Blackmagic software
Removed my Dell monitor at the end of the Tbolt chain
Trashed prefs in FCPX
Swapped Tbolt ports on the ioXT
Uninstalled/redownloaded/reinstalled AJA drivers

Now I get no video playback at all on the SDI monitor, just the default color bars.

I'm using a 2011 Macbook Pro, running OS 10.7.4
AJA Drivers 10.3.3
FCPX 10.0.5
Thunderbolt chain: Macbook Pro > ioXT > Promise Pegasus R6 > Dell 24" (via displayport to DVI adapter)
AJA Control Panel is set to ouput 720p59.94; FCPX project is 720p23.98

Any ideas?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

AJA Sales DepartmentRe: New ioXT. No Joy.
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 2:12:00 am

Final Cut Pro X does not have a provision for "padding frames" and you seem to be trying to work with 720p 23.98 content, but produce a video output at 720p 59.94. You may want to consider the following method in order to produce a video output from Final Cut Pro X:
1) Quit Final Cut Pro X if it is currently open.
2) Open the AJA Control Panel application.
3) Configure the Primary video format for 720p 23.98.
4) Configure the Secondary video format for 1080PsF 23.98.
5) Configure the SDI output being routed to your monitor to the Secondary format.
6) Launch Final Cut Pro X.
7) In the Final Cut Pro X>Window pulldown, be sure that "A/V Output" is checked.

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to contact AJA Technical Support via phone or email.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: New ioXT. No Joy.
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:12:13 am

Unfortunately, still just getting color bars.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 18, 2012 at 7:53:15 am

I forgot about the Window > AV/output setting. So, I'm getting video out again, but when I set to convert from 720p 23.98 to 1080psf 23.98, it looks lousy (aliasing) but plays back smoothly. If I try to output 720p 23.98 directly, my Panasonic BT-lh1700w monitor says "unsupported signal". If I set it to 720p 59.94, the picture looks good but the playback stutters. I'm back where I started 12 hours ago and I'm not sure I've learned anything!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: New ioXT. A bit of Joy.
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 8:13:59 am

Output from After Effects CS6 via the ioXT is great! Set to 720p 59.94 in order to play out a 720p 23.98 comp. Much better performance than the Digital Cinema Desktop. My RAM previews actually play back in realtime now.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: New ioXT. No Joy.
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 1:07:54 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "Panasonic BT-lh1700w monitor says "unsupported signal". If I set it to 720p 59.94, the picture looks good but the playback stutters."

Does that monitor actually support 23.98 playback? I see nothing in the specs about it.

Many monitors, even broadcast monitors, do not support true 23.98 playback. The signal needs to be converted to 59.94 or 29.97 to show up which is why all the AJA products perform a realtime 23.98 to 29.97 / 59.94 conversion on output.

All of the Flanders Scientific monitors we run here have true 23.98 output display which is one of the reasons we run them.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 18, 2012 at 2:03:18 pm

[walter biscardi] "Does that monitor actually support 23.98 playback? I see nothing in the specs about it.

Many monitors, even broadcast monitors, do not support true 23.98 playback. The signal needs to be converted to 59.94 or 29.97 to show up which is why all the AJA products perform a realtime 23.98 to 29.97 / 59.94 conversion on output."

That's exactly right, Walter. It doesn't support 23.98 directly. I had no problem outputting 59.94 to this monitor from 23.98 sequences with FCP legacy and an AJA LHe for several years. I just wish I could figure out what's going wrong now!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: New ioXT. No Joy.
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 4:32:36 pm

[Jason Jenkins] " It doesn't support 23.98 directly. I had no problem outputting 59.94 to this monitor from 23.98 sequences with FCP legacy and an AJA LHe for several years. I just wish I could figure out what's going wrong now!
"

Jason,
OK you seem to have missed the part 720p 23.98 is a non standard video signal and needs the padding to playback and that FCPX does not offer that option as it did in FCP7. The stuttering playback is from being on an underpowered system (RAM usually) that cannot process the conversion in real time.

The Cross conversion to 1080 23.98 should not look bad unless you have your video set better performance instead of High quality.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:10:01 pm

[gary adcock] "Jason,
OK you seem to have missed the part 720p 23.98 is a non standard video signal and needs the padding to playback and that FCPX does not offer that option as it did in FCP7. The stuttering playback is from being on an underpowered system (RAM usually) that cannot process the conversion in real time.

The Cross conversion to 1080 23.98 should not look bad unless you have your video set better performance instead of High quality."

Hi Gary,

I thought that by setting the output to 720p 59.94, it was adding the padding and would play out (which it seems to do, just not smoothly). I don't think my system is straining. It was the fastest Macbook Pro I could get in early 2011 (2.3GHz i7 w/16 GB of RAM, SSD). When I play back, CPU is at about 25% and there is plenty of free RAM.

I don't know why, but the cross conversion looks pretty crappy. I am using "native" 1080p avchd media in a 720p timeline. I wonder if it would do better if I transcoded to ProRes.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: New ioXT. No Joy.
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 2:37:24 pm

[Jason Jenkins] " thought that by setting the output to 720p 59.94, it was adding the padding and would play out (which it seems to do, just not smoothly). "

That was in FCP7, FCPX does not have or support padding.

" I don't think my system is straining. It was the fastest Macbook Pro I could get in early 2011 (2.3GHz i7 w/16 GB of RAM, SSD)."

Apple laptops prior to the current Retina are, IMHO, not stable with 16G ram. Too many issues.

"the cross conversion looks pretty crappy. I am using "native" 1080p avchd media in a 720p timeline. "

That would be the issue you are bouncing all over the place- why not work @ 1080 then cross convert to 720 for output, right now you are going from 1080 > 720 in software then back up to 1080 in hardware- too much processing for a real delivery.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: New ioXT. Fullness of Joy!
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:24:49 am

[gary adcock] "That would be the issue you are bouncing all over the place- why not work @ 1080 then cross convert to 720 for output, right now you are going from 1080 > 720 in software then back up to 1080 in hardware- too much processing for a real delivery."

Gary,

I'm using 1080 in a 720 timeline so that I can use the extra resolution to simulate focal length changes in the edit. Good news! I set the ioXT output to 1080Psf 23.98 and it works beautifully in FCPX. I was telling it to upconvert before and it looked lousy, but straight up 1080 = sweetness! Thanks for your input while I got this sorted.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: New ioXT. No Joy.
by on Aug 19, 2012 at 7:02:56 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "I don't know why, but the cross conversion looks pretty crappy. I am using "native" 1080p avchd media in a 720p timeline. I wonder if it would do better if I transcoded to ProRes."

What? 1080p material should be in a 1080p timeline and then you let the IoXT covert that to 720p on output. No wonder the footage looks so bad, FCP does horribly crappy conversions and that's what you have going on right now. FCP is converting that footage in the timeline instead of the IoXT.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason JenkinsRe: New ioXT. Fullness of Joy!
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 10:30:56 am

[walter biscardi] "What? 1080p material should be in a 1080p timeline and then you let the IoXT covert that to 720p on output. No wonder the footage looks so bad, FCP does horribly crappy conversions and that's what you have going on right now. FCP is converting that footage in the timeline instead of the IoXT."

Walter,

Let me explain! I use 1080p in a 720p timeline so I can simulate focal length changes in the edit. It is a technique that has worked very well for me. I find that FCPX scales beautifully. The good news is that I just tried setting the ioXT to output directly to 1080Psf 23.98 and it works beautifully from both the 720p timeline and the 1080p raw footage in the event library. I'm a happy man! Thanks for your input.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy