Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Problems with AJA out from Color

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
olof ekberghProblems with AJA out from Color
by on Jun 5, 2010 at 3:54:25 pm

I spent 5 hrs yesterday trying to fix this.

I talked with Apple Color Support and AJA Support. We tried everything short of reinstalling everything. DW permissions etc..

The problem is AJA HDe only shows black instead of video when using Color. It worked fine on this suite a month ago.

I reinstalled AJA's latest driver 7.5.1 and Color v1.5.2. Prefs have been trashed several times.

The AJA works perfectly with M100 and FCP, both latest versions. OS is 10.5.8 QT 7.6.6.

Neither HD-SDI or Component works in Color. Something is connecting because when I switch output settings the ref monitors flicker and then go back to black. And the monitors switch to black from color bars or current video when I switch to Color.

This is on my MacPro 4 core 2.66 suite. As I said it was working fine, and now even on old projects that were fine displays black.

My 8 core with a Matrox MX02 with the same software and OS 10.6.2 works fine with Color and external ref monitors.

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I will probably do a complete re install of everything on a new HD. I am thinking of installing 10.6.2.

Is anyone having issues with 10.6.2 and Kona HDe cards.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: Problems with AJA out from Color
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:06:41 pm

[olof ekbergh] "The problem is AJA HDe only shows black instead of video when using Color"

Olof, which Product? that is not an AJA product name, there is No HDe card.

if you are talking about the original Kona HD card I do not think it is supported.

[olof ekbergh] "Neither HD-SDI or Component works in Color."

Is the Kona Card setup in Color?

"The AJA works perfectly with M100 and FCP, both latest versions. OS is 10.5.8 QT 7.6.6. "
I was under the impression that you needed to change the firmware when switching between the M100 and FCP- is this no longer the case?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

olof ekberghRe: Problems with AJA out from Color
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 4:55:51 pm

HDe is what M100 calls the card when bundled with the M100 suite. It is actually a Kona LHe.

I should have made that clear.

I have to use the suite heavily this week, so I do't have time to reinstall all the SW and drivers.
That is what I will probably eventually have to do.

I have a feeling that it may have something to do with AE or PSD trying to "grab" control of the card. Even though I have the NDD version of AJA drivers installed.

I will post here if I have any success.

I am still curious if anyone else has seen this problem.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: Problems with AJA out from Color
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:01:33 pm

Reeinstalling the software and firmware for the card takes about 10 minutes. Depends on how twine you want to loose not having it working.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:05:34 pm

Gary, if you read my first post. I already reinstalled the drivers and Color, as well as new drivers for my RAID. I already have 5 hrs of trouble shooting into this.

When I say reinstall everything I mean new hard drive, reinstall OS with all updates install about 30 programs including the whole FCP suite and the complete master version of Adobe CS4. All my special Bluray authoring and burning setups etc.

I have done this before it takes about 12 to 20 hrs, of switching DVD's etc etc. A lot of my software like Vue needs to be relinked to their website for re-installing purchased files.

I may try just upgrading a cloned version of my system drive to 10.6.2 just to check if that will fix the problem.

I have a system drive on this machine with 10.4.11 on it with the FCP suite 6.0.2, and it runs Color fine with the output to the AJA. So I know this is a software issue.

I was really just curious if someone else ever had this happen. I am pretty resigned to do a complete reinstall on a new HD. It would not be the first time.

I have 2 other suites running great with Matrox and M100 hardware. As well as two MBP's for field editing that run all this SW perfectly on both 10.5 and 10.6.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Doug BealRe: Problems with AJA out from Color
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:30:08 pm

Hello Olaf
I have no answer for your color-AJA issue but I will chime in on the time taken to build and load a system.
The first time it takes a little longer if you build a disk image of each install DVD on a hard drive you can mount on a tray and slide in your macpro. from there the installs take place much quicker, no need to load DVDs and much quicker reading. If you never have to rebuild it seems like time wasted, the first time you rebuild you'll thank yourself.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Problems with AJA out from Color
by on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:21:57 pm

As Gary asked, you do have the Kona card selected in the video output prefs of Color, right?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:23:44 pm

Jeremy,

Yes I have the output set to the AJA card in the setup tab. I have tried all the different AJA output settings.

Like I said on another drive on this system I have 10.4.11 with Color 1.0.2 and it works fine there with the AJA card as video output.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 8, 2010 at 5:24:27 pm

and it's only Color that's busted?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:27:18 pm

Jeremy, that is the strange part, only Color is having this problem. Trashing the Color prefs or reinstalling just Color does not help.

I am busy on another project, and using another suite. But I am ordering another SATA drive to do a complete reinstall/update to this system.

A note about putting all installers on a disc as images. Yes it definitely speeds up reinstalls. But I have to do them so seldom that there is usually a new version of the programs out. So to first create images and then install takes longer. Maybe this is what interns are for.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 8, 2010 at 11:45:17 pm

You can choose to reinstall just the applications and none of the templates/media. It goes very fast, less than 5 minutes. The templates and media will remain.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 13, 2010 at 1:00:19 am

Well I finally reinstalled everything. I mean new HD reformatted. All new installs from original discs.

And everything is now working as it should. I am actually using 10.6.3.

So I don't know exactly what went wrong but it was system level. As I suspected.

I am only using AJA driver 7.5 as 7.5.1 is not blessed by M100 yet.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]