Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

RGB Workflow

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Keith PrattRGB Workflow
by on Jul 15, 2009 at 3:51:20 pm

Looking to clarify a few things in an RGB workflow. Say I'm given DPX files to edit and grade, then return as DPX, what workflow would you recommend? GlueTools? Transcode to AJA RGB Log (AJA DPXtoQTtranslator), edit and grade, then render back to DPX (AJA QTtoDPXtranslator)? What do you guys do?

Is there any hidden filtering or the like (no matter how small) going on when converting to AJA RGB Log? What black and white points and gamma does this codec use? And how best do I deal with potentially differing black and white points and gammas coming from differing sources (HPX-3700, F23, Genesis, etc.)?

I'm mostly working in short-form, so it's a realistic proposal and a personal preference to stay RGB and skip the offline. I'm also only interested in 1920x1080 at the moment. 2K/4K/8K/MegaJumboVision-4D can wait.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: RGB Workflow
by on Jul 16, 2009 at 10:57:33 am

I use GT for this,

If you are using the AJA DPX converter, only use the log versions if you are getting log files,
if your original is video or graded use the linear version.

[Keith Pratt] "Is there any hidden filtering or the like (no matter how small) going on when converting to AJA RGB Log?"

HD/ film frame rasters only, if you need offline frame sizes use Glue Tools[Keith Pratt]

"What black and white points and gamma does this codec use? And how best do I deal with potentially differing black and white points and gammas coming from differing sources (HPX-3700, F23, Genesis, etc.)? "

The Aja's apps by default use the SMPTE space, but that can be adjusted on output from the control panel to be full range. The app does not modify the incoming file just converting the content.

IF you need this kind of adjustments you need gluetools, aja;s tool were designed to handle the files without modification.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Keith PrattRe: RGB Workflow
by on Jul 20, 2009 at 12:20:21 am

Thanks for the reply. I figured Glue Tools would probably be my best bet if I was going to be regularly working with DPX.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]