Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Kona 3 and sony J30SDI

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
tony rhodesKona 3 and sony J30SDI
by on Jul 12, 2009 at 10:12:28 am

Hi, Hope someone can help.
I have been trying to work with a Sony J30-SDI deck and a Kona 3 running FCP.

I have an SDI cable connected from the SDI out and to the Kona SDI in. I can see and capture fine using the Kona pref's in FCP, but have no deck control.

Do I need to enable anything on the deck to gain deck control via the SDI?

Thanks for any help
Tony.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Kona 3 and sony J30SDI
by on Jul 12, 2009 at 12:03:21 pm

Do you have a proper RS-422 cable connected to the deck and the Kona? We run the J3/902 deck here, we've had it probably 5 or 6 years now and it works just fine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

tony rhodesRe: Kona 3 and sony J30SDI
by on Jul 12, 2009 at 2:22:45 pm

Hi Walter.
No, I haven't connected anything other than the SDI cable to the deck.
I have used other decks before and never had to connect the rs422 cable and managed to get deck control.

Does the J30-sdi need this RS422 connected in addition to the SDI cable?

thanks
tony

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2009 at 2:43:01 pm

[tony rhodes] "No, I haven't connected anything other than the SDI cable to the deck.
I have used other decks before and never had to connect the rs422 cable and managed to get deck control. "

When using Firewire, you can do this. SDI is video and audio only.

For professional decks with RS-422 control, you must get an RS-422 cable.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2009 at 3:02:44 pm

Ok thanks Walter
I must have been mistaken as I was sure I have controlled a deck before only using an SDI cable.

I'll have to check the previous deck thta I used.

In my head I thought the RS422 was to control analog decks when using component video connections etc..

cheers
Tony.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: Kona 3 and sony J30SDI
by on Jul 12, 2009 at 3:45:46 pm

Tony,
you don't need to "check" anything.
This is what you are going to do. You are going to order this cable.
http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Computer-Data-Cables/9-...

If your boss says "why do we have to spend any money, you figure out how to make it work without this cable" - you take this computer you are reading this reply on, and throw it at your bosses head.

HOWEVER, if you don't feel like doing this, find the original breakout harness that came with the AJA Kona 3 (you still have it, don't you?) - this came with the 9 pin RS422 cable part built in. I assume you are currently using the AJA K3 breakout box. Well, when you plug in this "octopus" harness that came with the Kona 3 (which goes where the K3 cables go right now), you will have the 9 pin cable that you can quickly demonstrate to your boss, that it works great with the 9 pin cable plugged in - and so you NEED TO ORDER THE CORRECT CABLE.

All professional VTR's work this way.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2009 at 6:37:22 pm

[Bob Zelin] "If your boss says "why do we have to spend any money, you figure out how to make it work without this cable" - you take this computer you are reading this reply on, and throw it at your bosses head. "

BRILLIANT!!! This may be your single most greatest reply yet.

We really need to start a Sticky Post somewhere on these forums just called Zelisms.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2009 at 6:35:21 pm

[tony rhodes] "I must have been mistaken as I was sure I have controlled a deck before only using an SDI cable. "

Nope. It's audio/video/TC only. No machine control protocol.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TompkinsRe: Kona 3 and sony J30SDI
by on Jul 12, 2009 at 10:31:17 pm

Bob,

U really gotta take it easy man, ur going to give urself a heart attack.
The guy didn't know he needed a RS422 cable - That's why we're here.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2009 at 9:13:13 am

Thanks for all your help.
Having checked the studio configuration / video rack a little deeper I found that in fact there is an rs422 cable connected to the sony J30, but this is connected to a BlackMagic-Design VideoHub that was installed some time ago.

This has 16x rs422 connections, one of which travels under the floor to this Mac Pro but is plugged into a AJA IO. I have moved this and connected it to the Kona 3 cable RS422 connection, but get nothing, no video, no deck control. If I bypass the videohub by connecting the SDI cables together I get Video IO but using the VideoHUB I get nothing.
I cannot bypass the RS422 on the video hub as the distance between the machine in the video rack makes it difficult.

I have installed the VideoHub software, but all options are blank and have no ability to manage the connections. The videohub is connected direct to this mac using the USB connection.

Does anyone know about the videoHub here, it's asking for an IP address for the videohub, how do i find that?

struggling with the BMD software / hardware..

thanks for any advice.
tony

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2009 at 12:30:22 pm

For your purposes it seems to me it would be much simpler for you to just run a cable direct between the deck and the Kona so you can get your project done. Then figure out the hub thing later. If you really want help with the hub, this is the wrong forum for that, go over to the BlackMagic forum or contact their tech support directly.

We have some really simple patch panels in our shop for video, audio and machine control, thanks to Bob Zelin.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: Kona 3 and sony J30SDI
by on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:25:38 pm

Tony -
I will answer your questions, but HOW DARE YOU ask Blackmagic questions on an AJA Forum. Blackmagic has their own forum on Creative Cow. You initiallly made this into an AJA problem, and now it became a Blackmagic problem. Why would you assume that it was the AJA card? Where the hell is the engineer at your facility that set this up for you.

Replies below -

Tony writes -
but this is connected to a BlackMagic-Design VideoHub that was installed some time ago.

REPLY - and what happened to the person that installed the VideoHub for you, to assist you with this ?

you write -
This has 16x rs422 connections, one of which travels under the floor to this Mac Pro but is plugged into a AJA IO. I have moved this and connected it to the Kona 3 cable RS422 connection, but get nothing, no video, no deck control. If I bypass the videohub by connecting the SDI cables together I get Video IO but using the VideoHUB I get nothing.

REPLY - Last year, blackmagic made a 12x24 Videohub. This product is now obsolete, and has become (from what you describe) a brand new 16x32 Studio Videohub, or 72x144 Broadcast Videohub. Both of these are relatively new products, so when you say "some time ago", if you have x16 connections for RS422, that was recently.
There are MANY MENUS that must be configured in the Videohub to make it work. A common reason for RS422 failure with the Blackmagic videohub (aside from cabling issues) is that the System Preference Window in the videohub allows you to change the NAMES of the crosspoints. In this very window, where you change the names of the crosspoints, on the right hand side is the RS422 control for each crosspoint. You can switch this from WORKSTATION to DECK. There was a bug in the old software driver (which has been resolved in the new 4.0 download) where your VTR would switch all by itself from DECK back to WORKSTATION. If your J30-SDI crosspoint is assigned as WORKSTATION, and not DECK, it won't work - it actually appears grayed out.

you write -
I cannot bypass the RS422 on the video hub as the distance between the machine in the video rack makes it difficult.

REPLY - it is my guess that you have the menus on the blackmagic videohub configured incorrectly, as per my comments above. I urge you to update the Blackmagic Videohub software - which needs to be done on BOTH the server computer, AND all the client workstations to the new 4.0 software/firmware. And dont' forget to flash the firmware when you install it on the server for the Videohub.

you write -
I have installed the VideoHub software, but all options are blank and have no ability to manage the connections. The videohub is connected direct to this mac using the USB connection.

REPLY - it is blank because you have not flashed the firmware. I know that I seem mean when I say this, but it gets me VERY ANGRY when people that have no background in doing engineering installations, nor have read the THIN 33 page .pdf manual, make an attempt to get this to work. When you load in the software (whcih must be done on your MAC server (the one with the USB connection) you must then FLASH THE FIRMWARE. How on earth you want to operate this product, and not read thru the manual that Blackmagic graciously provides is just beyond me. I fully understand that you are busy editing (or whatever you are doing), but it is INSANE that your boss has assigned a task like this (getting a facility router installed by an editor that has never done anything like this before).

you write -
Does anyone know about the videoHub here, it's asking for an IP address for the videohub, how do i find that?
REPLY -
I read this line before I started my comments and reply back to you. I am very angry as I read this because it shows me that you have never read the 33 page .pdf manual for this product, your dealer did not assist you or anyone else in training on this product, and you have no idea of how to use this product. Perhaps this is your bosses fault, for being too cheap to hire someone to install this properly. On your server (the MAC with the USB connection to the videohub), you go into System Preferences>Network, and assign a STATIC IP ADDRESS. How do you choose this number ? Well, if you have a network at your facility, you need to carefully choose this number so it does not conflict with other IP addresses that are being used by other comptuters at your facility. Your IT administrator (the guy that setup your computer network) can give you this number - but for the sake of this reply, I will make up a number - 192.168.2.3. You now enter this number on your MAC in the System Preferences>Network control panel (click manual configuration to do this, and make sure to assign a subnet mask as well). Click Apply. OK, this computer now has an IP address. Go to the Blackmagic software interface, click on the Preferences menu, and where it asks for an IP address - enter this same number (like 192.168.2.3). Now your Videohub has a static dedicated IP for you to work with. When you load in the Videohub software to your FCP workstations aroudn your facility that need to access this control panel software, when you do the install, it will ask you for the same IP address (192.168.2.3 for example) - you enter this number, and now any FCP workstation can have the Blackmagic menus' just pop up on the MAC screen, so they too can change router crosspoints.

struggling with the BMD software / hardware..

REPLY - it's not a struggle if you read the 33 page manual. You can't just figure this out without reading the manual. Someone should have been hired to do this installation for you.

It is VERY unlikely that you have RS422 problems with the AJA Kona 3. It is my guess that all of your problems are because your Blackmagic Videohub is simply not configured correctly.

And to the gentlemen from Video Atlanta that said "dont' have a heart attack, the guy just needs a cable" - let me remind you that when your boss starts to hire students instead of professionals to edit and shoot for your company, this is exactly what will happen to your career as well (how do you turn the camera on again?).

If you have further questions about this, I will be happy to address this on the proper BLACKMAGIC forum on Creative Cow.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Doug BealRe: Kona 3 and sony J30SDI
by on Jul 15, 2009 at 11:56:41 am

You are behaving very much like an modern engineer. Distilling a 33 page manual down two a single page for someone to get their stuff to work, doin the VAR's work and not gettin paid for it.
Now in the old days...
I think my favorite Old Engineer trick was the book carefully compiled and hidden that listed all the wire codes used to describe what wire went where, never mentioning the source and destination by name on the wire label so you HAD to have the secret book to determine what was up.
Alway a joy reading your posts!

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy