Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Hardware Acceleration

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Justin VaillancourtHardware Acceleration
by on Apr 17, 2009 at 8:06:53 pm

Hi, I'm pricing out a new Mac Pro and was wondering what if anything hardware-wise (other than a good video card) I can add to speed up rendering times or have real time effects, etc in Final Cut Pro or Adobe After Effects. I'm not sure if the Kona actually improves video performance system-wise or if it's strictly for I/O.

I design digital signage so I don't have much use for I/O, just need something to speed up the hardware as much as possible.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Justin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnie SchlisselRe: Hardware Acceleration
by on Apr 18, 2009 at 3:15:01 am

Kona and Decklink cards don't really add any RT. Some of the cards take scaling and pulldown tasks off the CPU & GPU for some codecs, but that's it.

Depending on what you're doing, the best improvement will be from a beefy graphics card and a fast RAID array.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ramona HowardRe: Hardware Acceleration
by on Apr 18, 2009 at 4:00:23 am

Speaking of beefy. Did you hear that ATI released an 800 core GPU....yup, that's not a typo :)

Cheers,
Ramona

Play hard today, it may be raining tomorrow!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pat McGowanRe: Hardware Acceleration
by on Apr 18, 2009 at 9:35:01 pm

Yeah but what are the odds that it will not be supported by Apple on the hardware and/or FCP side of things.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Hardware Acceleration
by on Apr 19, 2009 at 12:33:15 am

[Pat McGowan] "Yeah but what are the odds that it will not be supported by Apple on the hardware and/or FCP side of things. "

I think the odds are extremely good you'll find out one way or the other on Monday.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pat McGowanRe: Hardware Acceleration
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 12:25:16 am

Anything I missed here?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy